300 RUM brake suggestion

rcol317

I have an ULTRA custom built 300 Ultra Mag I had built in 2005 by Dale Sheurman. I've loved the rifle and harvested numerous animals over the years. I've found in my OLDER years I really don't like the recoil. It weighs 8 lbs 4 oz scoped , loaded and ready to hunt. Darrel Holland did one of his brakes on it right after I built it but I find even with his brake it's still nasty. Another issue is with the design for weight the barrel is a # 3 Lilja and only .630 at end of muzzle. I believe the threads are 9/16 so that also limits the kind of brake I can use. Any suggestion what I can put on it to soften for on OLD MAN Thanks for the help. Rick

I've got several of Ross's brakes and really like them, they're a good value. One think you might want to check is the barrel contour, that #19 might be too light to thread and maintain enough shoulder for the brake. You don't say what it's chambered for, there are minimum thread diameters you should adhere to depending upon bore size.

Another good brake is made by Harrells Precision. They're CNC machined, come in a variety of styles, and are at a very good price. I've got 2. One on a RUM and the other on a 30 Sherman Mag. Both work fine. Look up harrellsprecision.com

Thanks for all the input. I got with Nathan @ Muzzle Brake's and More. What a great guy, very helpful. He helped me with a 4 port brake, (no five port options with 9/16X28 threads) works very well, tames my light 300 RUM down to about like a 308 or my 260 Remington. VERY PLEASED. Thanks for the help

Very much so. Will use more of them once new barrels are put on.

D0534D2B-09EC-4E49-AD77-45FCD3C93247.jpeg

Also look at Salmon River breaks, the 5 port tames recoil extremely well turning most magnums into a ***** cat.

Axisworks is making some nice brakes. I put a 5 port Titanium brake on my son's rifle to maximize recoil reduction for my 10yr old. It works very well.

He has also put brakes on a 300 weatherby and 300 win mag that helped significantly tames those brutes. I would never shoot them because they were no fun to shoot. Now they are some of the most fun to shoot.