300 RUM barrel life

That is impressive for sure. Accuracy is very important and so is velocity for LR hunting. For the hunting aspect, 1's and 2's is great but 3's and 4's is probably acceptable if it comes with higher velocities which extends range. I think also if I was looking for the smallest groups I would probably shoot bullets in the 180-190 range from the 300 RUM. Probably Bergers or SMK's. My goal is the highest velocities with the heaviest bullets and acceptable accuracy. 3's would be really nice.

That is what I was referring to when I said the 300Rum was high strung if you want hair splitting accuracy.

Benchrest accuracy gets erased by environmentals at distance anyway. :)

What reamer spec are you running?

300 Rem Ultra Match Finisher from PTG. The lead is extended from .133 to .200

.3435 neck and .3085 throat with 1*-30 angle

The barrel will be stamped 300 Ultra Match

The reamer was specifically ordered for this chamber so it was the reamers first chamber. It should be fairly clean. Not sure what Kiff labeled it?

Thanks for all the Interesting info. I will be looking into the nitride finish........maybe this thread should be published

Just looked at my records. 27" #5 fluted lilja 300 RUM has 680 rounds through it. Still shooting quite accurately. BUT it is a real chore to clean. I just looked at the bore with a hawkeye bore scope and there is some cracking as far as 8" up the barrel. Not too bad when compared to my 257 with 750 rounds or the 6mm-284 with 850 rounds.

I also tried all sort of bullets. Most recently for grins I tried the 168 match target hybrids using the load that worked well with 168 Sierra Mks. Shot three incremental powder charges and one had the bullets cutting into one another at 200 yds. The velocity was 3550 or so.

I set aside this barrel because its twist is not enough for the 230s which I wanted to try. Took at 24" Remington barrel in 300 win mag rethreaded it and rechambered it for 300 RUM on this old push feed model 70. Used a Pacific tool and gauge reamer. Shoots the 230s to my satisfaction with RL-33 at 2975 fps.

MontanaRifleman:

Just grabbed the spec sheet from PT & G: The reamer has the a Midway # 974821
Throat angle is 1 degree. I asked Dave about that and he said they found that it worked better than the usual 1 degree 30 min.

Has .3450" neck with .3091" dia in freebore area

I have no idea why those particular dimensions but I leave that to Dave's discretion. All of the 17 reamers he has made for me and my friend Dan have worked.

Just looked at my records. 27" #5 fluted lilja 300 RUM has 680 rounds through it. Still shooting quite accurately. BUT it is a real chore to clean. I just looked at the bore with a hawkeye bore scope and there is some cracking as far as 8" up the barrel. Not too bad when compared to my 257 with 750 rounds or the 6mm-284 with 850 rounds.

I also tried all sort of bullets. Most recently for grins I tried the 168 match target hybrids using the load that worked well with 168 Sierra Mks. Shot three incremental powder charges and one had the bullets cutting into one another at 200 yds. The velocity was 3550 or so.

I set aside this barrel because its twist is not enough for the 230s which I wanted to try. Took at 24" Remington barrel in 300 win mag rethreaded it and rechambered it for 300 RUM on this old push feed model 70. Used a Pacific tool and gauge reamer. Shoots the 230s to my satisfaction with RL-33 at 2975 fps.

MontanaRifleman:

Just grabbed the spec sheet from PT & G: The reamer has the a Midway # 974821
Throat angle is 1 degree. I asked Dave about that and he said they found that it worked better than the usual 1 degree 30 min.

Has .3450" neck with .3091" dia in freebore area

I have no idea why those particular dimensions but I leave that to Dave's discretion. All of the 17 reamers he has made for me and my friend Dan have worked.

The reamer # I worked off of was 35052. It had a 1*30 throat angle. My smith and I talked about that and I don't remember the details but in his opinion the 1*30 was the best option. The neck is .3435 and my loaded non-turned necks are about .337 In hind sight I would reduce the neck to .341 for .002 clearance all around. That's what i have in my 6-284 and it seems to work very well. With a little force you can push bullets in unsized fired brass. The throat is .3085

Mark,

Thanks for the rest of the details. Can't imagine running a case that large with .002" total neck clearance. I suppose if you turned the necks and measured all loaded rounds every time you loaded them it could work. Used my 30 BR reamer to make a 30 BR and a 2" 30 BR that headspaces on a 308 win go gauge which I call a 30BR/308 win. ( I was too cheap to buy a 308 win reamer) Both use .002" total. I know exactly what you mean being able to push a bullet into the fired case mouth. Reminds me of the Houston warehouse story where the guy never sized his brass. He had the clearance so perfect he just seated the bullets and shot again.

I did notice that those two cartridges with the .002" total clearance required returning the cases as they grew ever so slightly after two firings/sizings. I am using Lapua brass for both.

I agree that 1 degree 30 min is THE throat angle so when I got the reamer I called Dave to ask why mine didn't have it. He had a good explanation and it does shoot so what do I care?

My OAL average of 10 cases using the 230 gr berger is 3.768". Using a Wyatt's mag box. I mention this so I can report on what charge weights of RL-33 worked in this package. Remember it is a 24" barrel.

In 50 degree weather worked up to 102 grs of RL-33 and encountered mild bolt lift resistance. Backed down to 100 gr which was more accurate for velocity of 2975 fps. (Unturned Rem brass, Fed 215 match primers)

AZ, I agree that I would probably not know the diff between a 1* and 1*30 throat.

The total clearance in the neck would be .004 giving .002 all around the neck. Both Dave Kiff and my smith said this should be the minimum clearance and would be acceptable in a hunting rifle. I am out of the neck turning business. I saw no benefit from it. I suppose if I were a BR shooter I would think differently.

Yes, I read your thread on RL33. I lot of good info there and I have 230 Hybrids loaded from 94 to 103 ready to go for pressure testing when rifle returns from being nitrided. I will let you all know the results. My COAL is 3.820 which gets them about .010 off the lands and barely fits my WBY mag box. I suspect the nitriding will allow a little more powder for equal pressure and maybe some more velocity.

Will also be trying 33 in my 6-284 and 6.5 WSM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts