300 RUM and Hammer Bullets

David F

Looking to try some hammers in my Browning A-Bolt 300 RUM with 1:10 twist barrel. I'm restricted on COAL at 3.60 due to magazine. Don't want to single feed. Currently shooting Retumbo, 200 grain accubonds and Nosler Brass at 3.60" with 1" groups at 100. I've shot a lot of animals with this load but looking to try ADG brass, a new projectile and N570. Picked up some 230 Berger Hybrids but are just too dang long. Any thoughts?

With solid copper bullets you can shoot lighter bullets as they are tougher and stay together better. I use 120 gr TSX in my 7mm and have always had full penetration and good expansion judging by the exit hole, never recovered one. In my 250AI and 257AI Ive used 80 gr TTSX @ 3300 and they always fully penetrated also.

so that's where all the h4350 went... I thought it was the creedmoor shooters burning it...
Got Caught.gif

Run the 124 HH with 95g of H4350, well above 4000fps and we have tested this combo extensively, Nothing walks away from this combination
Really?! Tell me more please. My tiny little brain is having a hard time comprehending that. Have you killed elk with that load? Terminal performance? I just so happen to have two 8 lb'ers of h4350 I'm not currently using and I'm looking to order a hammer for my 300 rum 1:10. I'm intrigued. Was thinking 180 hh but 4K has a ring to it…

I've seen the pictures from Buffalo they shot down under using that combo….. one of which went throw a horn and still penetrated through the neck and was recovered on the off side. 600 and in I can't imagine much walking away.

I'd like to keep my effective range out to 6-700 so I think I'll go heavier. Leaning 152 or 170 hh. Steve leaned toward 180 of course. (10 twist) Btw bean I followed your advice on the crimp die. My 6.5 prc Groups went from .5 moa to .25 in an instant. All it took was a 20$ die! Can't wait to start development in my rum. Why did I wait so long?! Sorry for the hijack David…