300 RUM and 200 gr Accubonds

Can someone explain to me why some guys can load 96gr, 97gr, 98gr, or more without pressure signs and some guys can only go maybe 91gr to 94gr and have pressure signs there. Can it be choice of primers? As different primers can give different pressures?

I think max load has a lot to do with elevation. I shot in Wisconsin and New Mexico and went from zero in Wisconsin to 2.5" high in New Mexico with higher elevation.

I run 95gr of Retumbo at about 3250fps.

What COAL are you using with that retumbo/200AB load? I generally load mine to 3.650."

I'm still having a hard time getting really good results from this rifle. I find 96gr of H-1000 with 180gr ballistic tips gives me a good group with great velocity but it's pretty **** hot.

What COAL are you using with that retumbo/200AB load? I generally load mine to 3.650."

I'm still having a hard time getting really good results from this rifle. I find 96gr of H-1000 with 180gr ballistic tips gives me a good group with great velocity but it's pretty **** hot.
Some 30 rums are building rather high pressure early with single base powders. Try rl25 and it'll probably cure your ills. It did for my brother's rifle. It was puking on retumbo- he tried it first as he has it around and it works well. The rifle is easily twice as accurate with rl25 running faster to boot. I gave him a few 180's loaded for my 300 rum at just over 3300 fps with rl25, and presto, 1/2 moa groups at 200 yards with another gun's ammo. As far as length, I load to mag length and leave at least .1" run to the rifling.

Anyone got a recommendation on 300 RUM factory ammunition. I'm not loading for this caliber yet and need some fire formed brass anyway. Hopefully it shoots okay and I have some back up loads.

Anyone got a recommendation on 300 RUM factory ammunition. I'm not loading for this caliber yet and need some fire formed brass anyway. Hopefully it shoots okay and I have some back up loads.
yep, the rem loads in full house(level 3???) with the 180 swift tipped bullet. Sub moa in both rifles we've shot it in.

Had no luck with retumbo switched to rl 25 and made a world of difference was gettin 3/4 to 1 inch groups. Then had a wyatts extended mag installed and beded first time out shot 1/2 inch groups. I want to keep working on it but i am happy with how it is shooting. DaN

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.