300 RUM and 200 gr AB's or 185 VLD's

Mikiedem

OK, so I just get my rifle back from the smith, can't wait to shoot it!! Took factory ammo and broke in the barrel, what a time consuming process. Now time to start my ladder test. Decided after many, many hours to go with 200 gr Accubonds. Ladder test shows 92 and 92.5 gr retumbo a nice group, so go and load up 3 shot groups from 91.8-92.8 in.2 gr increments. For foulers I load up 185 vld's at .130 off lands( longest mag will hold). First shot fouler through clean cold barrel, then 3 shot group at 91.8, clean barrel, fouler shot, 3 shot group at 92 gr and so on. At 92.4 gr I stop, can't help but like what I'm seeing. Ladder test groups, fair at best (first pic). Fouler group has my attention (second pic). 200 yard 4 shot group,96gr retumbo at 3343 fps, nice clover with a minor flyer. So I stop, didnt finish the last two ladders and went home. My original intentions when building this riffle was to shot 185 vld's, but after checking distance from the lands that would fit it the mag I got discouraged. Almost everyone that loads berger's has them right at the lands and mine are not even close! So that's when I decided to load accubonds. Looking at Ballistic calculator, 200 grain accubonds at 1k -16.5 moa drop, 4.4 windage at 3164 at the chrony, 185 vld's -14.9 moa drop, and 4.4 windage at 3343 at chrony. 200's have 1695 ft lbs at 1k, 185's have 1650 ft lbs. So question, would you continue working the 200 AB's or lock down on the 185's as it sits? Goal, eventhough it sounds like a broken record, comfortably kill elk at 1k. As for weapon, Remington 700 action, MPI tactical kevlar stock, McGowen S/S match grade 26" #4 contour 1:12 twist, viper 6.5x20x50. Looking for any and all feedback Thank you in advanced.

Attachments

• DSC00837.jpg
    DSC00837.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00836.jpg
    DSC00836.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00833_1.jpg
    DSC00833_1.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 113
I'm wondering where you got that much energy at 1000 yds? That aside, there have been more debates on this forum over bullets (sometimes heated):D than any other topic. Everyone has there own opinion! In my opinion, neither is a great elk bullet at 1000 yards. I have shot elk at 1000 yds. with 200 AB's at that very velocity and it caused me to start making my own bullets 6 years ago. Of four different bullet holes, none of them expanded, just dubbed off the end. I can't say that I have ever shot an elk at that range with a berger but I do use Bergers and do a lot of testing with them and others. I have not found them to give CONSISTENT expansion. I suspect if you hit an elk in the shoulder at that range, it would probably work? If you hit behind the shoulder, probably a pencil hole? You will likely get some other opinions based on other experiences. If I was going to shoot factory bullets at elk at 1000 yards, it would probably be the A-Max. They have a thin jacket like a Berger but the ballistic tip will start the expansion better and be more consistent. The down side; closer up you might end up grenading before getting in to the vitals on some hits. Another option if you like Nosler is the ballistic tip. It will expand better than an AB at 1000 yds. For all you AB guys out there, I think they are one of the better bullets overall, but not at 1000 yards. Let the war begin!:)....Rich

Thanks for the info Rich, as for the energy it was just off JBM calculator. I noticed last night that LRBC calculator came up with less. I considered the A max but for the same reason you stated I didnt choose them. Should I keep working the ladder test on the 200's or work the 185's after getting the above groups?

Thanks for the info Rich, as for the energy it was just off JBM calculator. I noticed last night that LRBC calculator came up with less. I considered the A max but for the same reason you stated I didnt choose them. Should I keep working the ladder test on the 200's or work the 185's after getting the above groups?

Use what works best for you! As I said, someone else will tell you something different. If it were me, I would probably use the AB's down to no less than 2000 fps and the Bergers at a little lower velocity as long as you try to hit shoulder mass. (that's if those were the only two choices).......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.