300 RUM and 180 gr. accubonds

Lball

I've been coming to this site for months and just reading everyone else's posts and i figured it was about time to start one of my own. One of the many projects that i have going on right now is a 300 RUM that i'm trying different loads for. I want to try the 180 grain accubonds in it and i'm partial to RL 25 but the nosler manual doesn't list any data for this combination. I was interested in hearing from anybody who might have used these together and if they had any starting data for it. Thanks

Well FWIW, I use 89.0 Re25 with the 200 Accubond, but my barrel is 28".

Nothing wrong with the 180 at all but with such a large powder charge, I prefer the better B.C. My trajectory is quite unreal with my load too. Here is an antelope I shot with the combo in WY last year on a self guided hunt:

e94bf02e.jpg

Yeah if i had 28 inch barrel i would shoot the 200's as well but with a 26 i'll try the 180's first. Although i might end up with the 200's before it's all said and done.

Well, even with your 26" bbl., I don't think you'll lose too much. There are many different opinions on this but rifle builders like Jarret opine that there is no benefit with a bbl longer than 27".

My personal opinion is shoot what you want. I like 28" as my max.

I have done load development on a bunch of 300 ultras and they all liked 180 btips or 180 accubonds with anywhere between 94.5 to 96.5 grains of RL25 and a FED215gm primer. Usually, the velo will be 3300-3400 with standard deviations running 6-10 fps! 1/2" groups can also be expected.

A buddy of mine has a 300 ultra on a full NESIKA BAY rifle with a 30" barrel. Another friend of mine has a 700 remmy bdl same caliber. One day last fall, we took both guns to the range and chronoed one box of factory ammo. The 26" barrel spit out 3215 average and the 30" was clocking 3350! Four inches made those wimpy factory loads shoot like my HOT handloads!

P.s. All data read from an Oehler 35 ten feet from the muzzle. Temp was 55 degrees and overcast skies.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.