300 rum and 124 hammer

zach_destroys

Anybody run this combo? I have several hundred 200gr accubonds stockpiled for when my rifle come back from the smith but I was curious about the 124s. Should be able to get them to 3800-4000 I would thing. Would have to be close to a 400 yard mpbr.

Anybody run this combo? I have several hundred 200gr accubonds stockpiled for when my rifle come back from the smith but I was curious about the 124s. Should be able to get them to 3800-4000 I would thing. Would have to be close to a 400 yard mpbr.
I run 245 bergers at 3000fps. I don't play with mpbr but here is what I came up with for my ballistics. If I zero 3" high at 100 it will be zeroed at 325 and by 375 it has fallen the next 3".
Get a ballistic calculator and play around a bit

Out of curiosity, why go so small in a 300 RUM? Cant imagine they would perform as well on game as the 200s. At that point why not just go to something like a 6.5-300? Better BC, better SD, and probably similar velocity. Not trying to be a naysayer, just asking. Seems like an interesting combination

Out of curiosity, why go so small in a 300 RUM? Cant imagine they would perform as well on game as the 200s. At that point why not just go to something like a 6.5-300? Better BC, better SD, and probably similar velocity. Not trying to be a naysayer, just asking. Seems like an interesting combination
+1....down range on target results IME with light bullets not so good compared to the heavier bullets. I expect the Hammer Kool Aid crowd will pounce on this and its ok......just my experience with Cup/Core, Bonded, Barnes bullets.

+1....down range on target results IME with light bullets not so good compared to the heavier bullets. I expect the Hammer Kool Aid crowd will pounce on this and its ok......just my experience with Cup/Core, Bonded, Barnes bullets.
I'm not a light bullet fan but velocity does offer more bang for your buck when it comes to kinetic energy but from my math's you can't catch up to a heavy bullet. If you want the lighter recoil hey go hard.

I'm not a light bullet fan but velocity does offer more bang for your buck when it comes to kinetic energy but from my math's you can't catch up to a heavy bullet. If you want the lighter recoil hey go hard.
Yes, I did the light bullet thing for decades. My favorite elk load was a 165 Partition at 3600 from my RUM and it worked awesome. Then I started really shooting long range +600 and comparing ballistics at the target. No, I did not go to the heaviest possible I could find just at the upper end for caliber. Then it messed me up finding or trying to find the one that works at 100yds and at 1100 yards the way I want. So far not so much luck across the board. I got super lucky with my RUM and it shoots the 180BT and the 180AB exactly the same POI, Velocity, Trajectory. So, yes I do carry it loaded with AB's and have a couple BT's in my pocket.

@ButterBean has gotten well over 4000 fps with 124 gr HHs and H4350. I got a 3956 fps reading with Retumbo and went up from there in powder charge but my chrony didn't pick up the velocities. I settled on about 3800 fps with H4831sc because it was more accurate than the faster Retumbo loads.

Why use a 124 gr bullet in a 300 RUM?

1. I primarily hunt whitetails and 500 yards is long range to me.
2. I have a lighter weight 300 RUM that I really like to carry but it scopes me about 50% of the time with 200 gr Accubonds.
3. I have a set and forget 3-9 scope on this particular 300 RUM and I can be no more than 2" high or low out to about 310 yards.
4. It is fun to try different bullets.

@ButterBean has gotten well over 4000 fps with 124 gr HHs and H4350. I got a 3956 fps reading with Retumbo and went up from there in powder charge but my chrony didn't pick up the velocities. I settled on about 3800 fps with H4831sc because it was more accurate than the faster Retumbo loads.

Why use a 124 gr bullet in a 300 RUM?

1. I primarily hunt whitetails and 500 yards is long range to me.
2. I have a lighter weight 300 RUM that I really like to carry but it scopes me about 50% of the time with 200 gr Accubonds.
3. I have a set and forget 3-9 scope on this particular 300 RUM and I can be no more than 2" high or low out to about 310 yards.
4. It is fun to try different bullets.
That's the ultimate 500 yard rig IMHO