300 RUM accurate hunting load

Chilly Willy

Okay fella's...need a little help here! Started loading my 300 RUM with 200 grain Accu Bonds and 84.5 grains of Retumbo powder using Winchester magnum primers. This load is performing well @ 100 yards however seems to be not so hot out to 300. Can anyone share a load for out to 500 yards with the accu bond that is not an over max load?

How fast is the load over a reliable chronograph? A touch over 3000 fps is where I found good accuracy, but many others have good results it seems up at about 94gr or so, I'm at 90gr Retumbo and about 62,000 psi.

The rifle shoots honest .8 MOA, but mostly .4-.6 MOA off the bipod. It has shot .5 inch groups at 300 yards last few times out, last fall that is.

that is some serious accuracy out to 300 yards! WOW. I don't understand how at 84.5 grains I'm getting 3006 fps and your all the way up at 90 and somewhere around 3030 fps?

What is your COL and primer?

I'm .180" off the lands at 3.660" OAL, and yep, that's part of it to be sure. I'd guess I'd have to drop a grain or two if I run up on the lands with them or I'd run up closer to 70,000 psi, which is usually about my max anyway.

If you're at 3000 fps, i'd suspect pressure to be nearly where I am, just might be your barrel is a bit tighter than some are and you get by with a might less powder.

With Retumbo, I started to see some ejector impressions early on, where RL25 did not produce any until I was up over 70,000 psi and nearly matching the MV with Retumbo. Retumbo seems to batter the brass a bit more, but at lower pressure for some unknown reason. If I went to 70k psi with Retumbo I'd get looser primer pockets, I could already feel them coming at 65k psi on some of the test loads, which was a little unusual, even with the softer Remington brass.

Take a look at the Barnes manual, I was at 120gr RL22 on the first lot# with a 400gr X bullet in my 416 WBY before I reached 2700 fps, which was 12gr over max load...

Working up from 104gr with each lot# just to be sure, I found lot to lot consistancy to be between 117 - 120gr in that load. I was so curious to see if my rifle was just not capable of that speed at max load that I broke down and bough a box of factory loaded Swift A-Frames ($99.00) to check the speed on them. I got 2650-2680 out of them and was quite relieved. Heck, my barrel was only 23.5" long in this Ruger verses the 26" bbl's I'm sure Weatherby uses to establish the 2700 fps with a 400gr. Since then I've been using the Oehler M43 and found more such good news about my rifle, like 2700 fps is about max, but still asily doable at 65k psi, even with RL22. I can't wait to try RL25 and Retumbo in it.

MV is one of your best indications of top pressures, that and bolt rotation and extraction ease goes a long way.

I use a 210M primer in that load, have not tested the 215M yet. That was the only load I even tried for groups before hunting last fall, and luckily it worked very well, so I've just stuck with it. Been playing with the new 30-338 Lapua Imp all winter, and it loves the accubond too.

I loaded the same exact load in it too and went to the range to break in the barrel with, turned out that the first 3 were inside .150" at 100 yards, the next opened it to about .480". The next group was also .480", and I was cleaning too. The rifle also had no recil lug on it either, just a magazine box to beat on.
grin.gif

I'm just about finished getting it into the barrel block and new stock here tomarrow, can't wait to try it out now.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.