300 RUM- 7mm rem mag conversion

Ahicks

I have a remington 700 300 RUM that I love the rifle but dislike the caliber due to price of ammo and recoil. So I have been looking into doing a barrel swap to a 7mm rem mag but keeping the 300 rum action. Has anyone ever done this and is it possible or will I need to change other things? From what i understand the have the same head size so no need to change the bolt face and I like the fact I would have a large mag box so I can load large for caliber bullets with a High BC. Has anyone done this and what is your experience? Thanks

Now to up the anti on this I want to do a full remodel on the rifle. I'll do the 300- 7mm rem mag conversion but I want to turn it into an extream long range hunting rifle that isnt horrible (supper heavy / awkward to carry) to pack long distance. I live in colorado and I regularly have to make long shots 500-700 yards cross canyons. What stock options would suit me best for this. Need a high comb due to large objective lenses but want to keep the weight low. Also want to keep to a 26 inch barrel what conture would be the best compromise between accuracy and weight. Thanks

Now to up the anti on this I want to do a full remodel on the rifle. I'll do the 300- 7mm rem mag conversion but I want to turn it into an extream long range hunting rifle that isnt horrible (supper heavy / awkward to carry) to pack long distance. I live in colorado and I regularly have to make long shots 500-700 yards cross canyons. What stock options would suit me best for this. Need a high comb due to large objective lenses but want to keep the weight low. Also want to keep to a 26 inch barrel what conture would be the best compromise between accuracy and weight. Thanks
It depends on what your budget is. Some of the best lightweight, long range stocks come from Manners, AG Composites, and McMillan. They'll be $600+. If you don't have that budget, then I'd look into Grayboe or Stocky's. They'll be a tad heavier but be about half the cost.

I have been looking at McMillan I have one of there stalks on a 308 and I really like it I have an adjustable cheek riser on it so it makes it a little heavy but it is set up for more of the target long range rather than hunting specific. I just wanted to see what other options are out there to see if there where anyothers I havent looked into. I will have to check out that AG composits. Thank you!

Since your doing a new stock, look at doing a carbon barrel. Make sure you get the action trued when barrel swapped. Just depends on how much you want to spend at this point.

I was looking into a carbon fiber barrel but from what I can tell for about half the price I could get a slightly smaller diameter barrel fluted and only be about 0.5lb heavier than the carbon fiber barrel and I cant really justify $300-$400 more for 0.5lb weight savings unless I am wrong.
These are my exact thoughts as well.

I was looking into a carbon fiber barrel but from what I can tell for about half the price I could get a slightly smaller diameter barrel fluted and only be about 0.5lb heavier than the carbon fiber barrel and I cant really justify $300-$400 more for 0.5lb weight savings unless I am wrong.
It's a preference thing. If your going to run a suppressor, I'd say go carbon. If your not than it's up to you to decide what you works best for you. I went with a carbon barrel because I'm running a suppressor and to keep barrel whip down.

Bell and Carlson have some options for nice stocks that are fairly reasonably priced. And remember this when choosing barrel contour: you're stepping down in caliber size so the same contoured barrel will actually be stiffer due to the extra metal around the bore

Tell us more about your 300 Rum .
I have had 7 of them in all configurations.
The Wife has a 26' carbon set up right now . I have pushed one out to a Mile on a target/milk jug .
You just might do some changes to the rifle you have and injoy it !

Rum Man

FWIW-I bought a M700 LR SS in 300 RUM doner and rebarreled to 28 Nosler. My concern was feed lips on the receiver. 300 RUM and Nosler are the same diameter case so mine feeds perfectly from the factory mag. I'm no expert but seems like something to consider if not going w/ a DBM. I put a #4 Bartlien fluted at 26" and a brake, NF C555, Seekins rings, under 11 lbs if memory serves me.

If you "regularly have to make long shots 500-700 yards across canyons" you should have a good idea of exactly what you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts