300 RUM- 7mm rem mag conversion

I was looking into a carbon fiber barrel but from what I can tell for about half the price I could get a slightly smaller diameter barrel fluted and only be about 0.5lb heavier than the carbon fiber barrel and I cant really justify $300-$400 more for 0.5lb weight savings unless I am wrong.
You could save weight (even be lighter than carbon) by going with a steel barrel AND save money. It all depends on how much you shoot it, your intended purposes and personal preferences. Some weight is your friend for long range. You don't specify where you want to end up on your total weight.

I think your over thinking the problem.
Now first let me say nothing wrong with building a semi custom and it's fun. But make sure you do it for that reason. I say that because for what your talking about spending you can buy a whole lots of ammo for the rum. Then have money left to add a very nice brake to take the recoil. The 300 rum is tough to beat. Another thought is if you just want a nice 7mm you can buy some very nice rigs capable of doing exactly what you want for less than your change. Then you have two rigs. Again nothing wrong with the build of you are doing it for fun also.

Tell us more about your 300 Rum .
I have had 7 of them in all configurations.
The Wife has a 26' carbon set up right now . I have pushed one out to a Mile on a target/milk jug .
You just might do some changes to the rifle you have and injoy it !

Rum Man
My 300 rum is just a sporter rifle 26" barrel with a mercury tube to help recoil ( makes it really heavy). The reasons I want to make a swap is it is a rem 700 action with a jewled bolt that is smooth and silk to work. 7mm ammo is cheaper and more available. I can push the same weight bullets with near identical ballistics with less wind drift and less recoil due to the High BC all with less powder once I start reloading. And I want to add the benefit of accuracy gain and barrel life that you get with an aftermarket barrel with a twist rate made for long, heavy for caliber bullets. My 300 rum is inherently inaccurate only able to make fist size groups at 100 on a good day. I can take my 308 win that is factory other than the stock and regularly make MOA groups or better. Plus we all know it is fun to make a semi custom/custom gun

My 300 rum is just a sporter rifle 26" barrel with a mercury tube to help recoil ( makes it really heavy). The reasons I want to make a swap is it is a rem 700 action with a jewled bolt that is smooth and silk to work. 7mm ammo is cheaper and more available. I can push the same weight bullets with near identical ballistics with less wind drift and less recoil due to the High BC all with less powder once I start reloading. And I want to add the benefit of accuracy gain and barrel life that you get with an aftermarket barrel with a twist rate made for long, heavy for caliber bullets. My 300 rum is inherently inaccurate only able to make fist size groups at 100 on a good day. I can take my 308 win that is factory other than the stock and regularly make MOA groups or better. Plus we all know it is fun to make a semi custom/custom gun
Well it sounds like you mind is made up on the 7rem mag ..
I would do some changes to the Rum first.
Trigger , brake , try a b&c aluminum bedded stock. The ammo is the tough part if you dont reload .
I understand ammo is tough to find now but it will change . You have to try several types and grains of factory to see what you rifle likes . That's very tough and pricey too . Just hate to see you give up on the Rum . They are amazing on Critters!
Wish you were close to me we could try a few things out .
Anyway keep us posted on the new build!
Good luck !

Rum Man

I have some 300 rum ammo if ur looking for some I can sell u and will make a good deal for u. I have a ton I bought a while back and am doing reloading for it and don't need that much extra.

Attachments

• E12BFD01-1DE6-4587-BDF1-075CF586F19A.jpeg
    E12BFD01-1DE6-4587-BDF1-075CF586F19A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
  • DD4E44DA-F1E8-433A-9303-EA441B4B2814.jpeg
    DD4E44DA-F1E8-433A-9303-EA441B4B2814.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 133
  • 38D23CEE-7662-4E7B-B0B6-8F6ECAA4EAF8.jpeg
    38D23CEE-7662-4E7B-B0B6-8F6ECAA4EAF8.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 145
I have some 300 rum ammo if ur looking for some I can sell u and will make a good deal for u. I have a ton I bought a while back and am doing reloading for it and don't need that much extra.
I'v a bunch of new 300RUM factory too and it's the good stuff! I don't use it, because I handload the bullet I want, but the old Rem rounds are legit, with velocities that are crazy fast, with 180 Partitions & 180 Sciroccos and the Fed 180 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw!

I would've just got a brake installed if it were me. Hard to get a RUM here.
I had a perfectly fine Rem 700 Sendero II sitting here in 7RM, to me that cartridge is garbage, so I re-chambered it to 7STW.
I also put a 264WM barrel on it, it is an 8" twist, custom contour .950" at the muzzle and 29" long.
Far better ballistics than the RM can ever dream of.
You will have to swap out your RUM mag box for a standard magnum mag box, I know, I've been there and back.

Cheers.

Get a hold of John at Mesa Precision Arms, he can get you set up with a new stock at a great price and if you want to rebarrel, he'll get you taken care of as well. You can find his contact info on the internet

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.