300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 Norma... Which one?

DoubleGobble00

I want to build a new 30 caliber long range gun. I already have a 300 WM and want to build a bigger 30 caliber. I'm having a hard time deciding which one to build. All seem similar in energy and velocity but not sure which one is best to get brass, variety of loaded ammo, etc. I like shooting the biggest bullets available like the 230 bergers and would plan not to shoot anything under 200 grains. Please give me your opinion.

Thanks,

DoubleG

If you check out the reloading manuals you will see that the 300 Weatherby Mag is your best bet. I have looked at the 30 mags for quite some time and none really out do the 300 Wby. It also is a lot more accurate that what most people think Good luck in search and I hope you find what tickles your fancy.

Since you already have a 300 WM, I would step up the 338 and build a 338 Edge and shoot the 300 grain pills.
If you are dead set on a 30 cal and the 230 Bergers, or 240 SMK, then the 300 RUM or Norma would be the way to go. The 30 Nosler I don't think would have the case capacity to justify the big pills.

Love my 300 Rum! It's easy to load for and shoots those 230 Bergers in a single hole. IMG_0292.JPG

Thanks for the info. I haven't considered the 30-378 or 300 wby just because the cost to shoot those rounds and history of lack of accuracy. I'm not saying you can't get an accurate round but I'd rather not be limited to weatherby.

The 338 is better all around but I have an ultra 9 suppressor in 30 caliber that I want to use. Therefore, I'm sticking to 30 caliber.

I'm leaning toward the 300 RUM but want to see what else is available and what others think.

Had two Sako TRG-S rifles in 7.82 Warbird, Have a Sako TRG-S in 30-378 WBY, a Rem 700 Classic in 300 Wby, Win 70 Classic Stainless in 300 Win Mag, two Tikka T3's in 300 WSM, and 4 Rem 700's in 300 RUM (one is an Improved version) and had one in 300 Norma that is now the 300 LRH .... after 30 years of 30 cal madness I can honestly tell you to stay away from the WBY cartridges, nothing exciting about them, ugly as sin and for their case length the 300 RUM is a far better option, wby brass is highly expensive and if run at peak pressures for advertised/expected velocity, brass is pop and toss, reloads on brass require reduced loads somewhat then a 300 Win mag starts making more sense.... The 300 RUM makes the most sense for long range hunting, it has a stellar reputation for serious accuracy that the Wby's lack , if the 230 Bergers are too long for mag feed then the 215's are easily made to work along with the 212 gr ELDX and both bullets are capable of smacking big game past 1000 yards, after a dry spell More brass is now available for the 300 RUM via Nosler, Hornady, Norma, Bertram and ADG is cranking some out, before long Petersen will join in to get a slice of the pie, it's only a matter of time..... 30 Nosler ? an unbelted 300 Winnie, lacks velocity I like and that does not have any sex appeal at all and only Nosler has brass that isn't the best of quality at pressures for max velocity, the 300 WSM is slower but a sexier shorter gal .....

other than the 300 RUM , the 300 Norma Mag is a phenomenal cartridge and needs no introduction as for accuracy and velocity, just shy of the 300 RUM in speed but has far more sex appeal than all the other cartridges put together, the 300 Norma improved version smokes the 300 Rum and is seriously accurate, with a 30" barrel the 225 gr ELDM's zipping out at 3250 fps with 1/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yards is serious long range business ... Petersen is making brass in the new year, ADG is climbing aboard, rumor has it Hornady is going to release 300 NM and 338 NM brass and ELDX and M ammo at the shot show, another new brass manufacturer is coming in the new year and will be cranking Norma Mag brass among a few other things in the new year as well, Long Range shooters seriously need to look about them and surge forward hard and fast or be left behind with Great Grandads ol rusty junk........ cannot stress that enough and I know some guys will get their feelers all twisted but c'mon man, wake up and realize it's time to grow up and move on, Atari and Centipede is way, way outdated, much cooler games are to be had

Been building more and more 30 Noslers. 215 Berger at 3100 in 26" with H1000. Feeds out of a bdl with the bullet seated long. Also theres the 30-28 Nosler (necked up 28 Nosler) it holds a few more grains of powder and will do the same thing as the 30 Nosler. I had a customer run the 230s to mid 3000s before hitting pressure. They are my top choices. If I was to build a RUM personally it would be a single shot with 230s. Mag fed, Noslers all the way. Pic of a 1k yd 3 shot group from one of the 30 Noslers I built.
30 nos 1k.jpg

I have 3 wby and have no accuracy issues. They tune to a load like anything else. Heck my 257 is a .25moa gun. As for freeborn affecting accuracy, a run has ton of free bore. Accuracy issues with wby are most likely quality control issues with the mark v in recent years.
A buddy has a 300norma mag, pretty awesome round

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.