300 rum 24” barrel

laker

Have a friend that is wanting to build a 300 rum with no longer than a 24" barrel. Any of you guys running one with a barrel that short? What velocities are you getting and would you do it again?

Not a RUM, but ran a 300WM with a 24" barrel, speed was still reasonable, 3080fps with 180's and 2900fps with 200's.
Problem was it was LOUD. Muzzle blast was measured in feet not inches.

Now, all the magnums I run are barreled with 26" minimum.
They are less obnoxious at this length, sure, they may clunk a few low hung branches when hunting, but I tape my muzzles anyway.

I feel a 26" is minimum, but a 24" WILL still work.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Laker, the longer the better with a 300 RUM. 24" is a bit short with the powder capacity of the case and the heavier bullets which are proven to be so accurate with the RUM in a longer barrel. If the friend is worried about weight, the extra 2-4" are moot when that trophy presents itself. Good luck

I recently bought custom Rem 700 300 RUM w 22" Kreiger barrel that the local gunshops gunsmith had built. I was worried about velocity, but is was too good a deal to pass on. I haven't run it through a chono but it's sighted in 3" high at 100, and it's 16" low at 400 with Nosler Trophy Grade 180 accubond. Which is about what the factory says the drop is with the stated 3250 MV. I've seen it and still don't believe it.

I rechambered a 24" 300 Win mag to 300 RUM. To make the rem barrel fit the model 70 it lost 1/4". I only use it for elk hunting. Like the handy shorter barrel.

In the beginning used 100 gr of RL-33 for velocity of 2975 fps with 230 gr Bergers.

In more recent years using a milder load with 230 gr Bergers and 86 gr of H-1000 for velocity of 2802 fps.

Tried 215 Bergers with H-1000 best was 88 gr for velocity of 2879 fps

Agree that 24 vs 26 barrel is a minimal weight increase for the performance increase. Extended range shooting usually places the hunter in a position where the game is not ready to bolt and trees to not limit gun movement. Long shots should be made from a rest (best prone) and that is where the 300RUM recoil really separates out the rifleman. If you need to use reduced loads, get a 308. I shoot a Rem 700 with a 26" Hart barrel. The load is 200 gr Swift AFrame, 98 gr Retumbo. CBTO=3.125" which puts the base of the bullet about .200 into the case. Velocity averages 3180 fps over my Labradar. I avoid the longer bullets because of the magazine limitations put the bullets too far into the case. I feel that the 200 gr swift does not give up much at 500 yards and have a 218" B&C moose to prove it. One does not have to worry about bullet terminal performance with the A-Frame.

My 300 RUM is a 26" with 3,200 FPS at muzzle according to Mr. Chrony. I've nicknamed it The Tenderizer. A shorter barrel might have issues with burning all the powder before bullet reaches muzzle especially since case is so large holding a good amount of powder. I use 81 grains of IMR4350.

Have a friend that is wanting to build a 300 rum with no longer than a 24" barrel. Any of you guys running one with a barrel that short? What velocities are you getting and would you do it again?

I have a 300 RUM with a 26" Proof Research Barrel. I also use an 8" TBAC suppressor which typically adds about 50fps. I shoot a 230 grain Berger Target Hybrid bullet 2955 fps. This is my hunting rifle and use it to shoot steel out to 2km. This fall, harvested a cow elk at 650 yards and an antelope at 780 yards, both with the 300 RUM.

My recommendation with the 300 RUM is to use the heaviest bullet as possible (I ❤️ My 300RUM). I've shot the lighter bullets mentioned above and have lots of Berger bullets (500 180 gr VLDs still in unopened boxes for sale if anyone is interested!). The lighter bullets go faster but just don't perform as well past 1000 yards. The 230 gr Berger Target Hybrid bullet kills on impact and performs almost as well as my 300 gr Berger Tagert Hybrid. The 230 gr bullet is a truly remarkable bullet. The 300 RUM has lots of case capacity to push big heavy bullets at close to 3000 fps. There is really no reason to get a 300 RUM unless you are going to use a 230 gr bullet at 3000 fps you need a longer barrel.

The performance really errodes when the muzzle velocity drops below 2800 fps. The increase in performance more than justifies the small increase in weight caused by 2" of barrel. If you really want to reduce weight, get a proof research barrel (1:9 twist for 230 gr bullet).

If you don't want the extra weight and not interested in ranges beyond 700 yards, get a smaller caliber.

The only thing you give up with a 24" barrel is about 50-75fps. Just go with the the barrel length that works best for your style of hunting and be happy. FWIW, I had an 18" (including the brake) 300 RUM specialty pistol that worked really well for me. I think I was shooting the 168 gr TTSX at about 3200 fps with a moderate charge of IMR 7828.

Folks like to get hung up on powder burn efficiently or extra muzzle blast from short barrels but it's really not a significant issue. There are a lot of people shooting specialty pistols with barrels in the 18" range chambered for rounds burning 80+ grains of powder with excellent results. I shoot 140gr of powder out of a 20" barreled 338 SnipeTac specialty pistol and the muzzle flash is no worse than a 26" 300 Win Mag.

I'm an average sized guy who hikes to hunt, and I've been shooting a Rem M700 with 24 1/2" Barrel w/ Vias-type brake for about 10+ years. OEM Barrel was never croni'd as standard 26" before installation of the brake. I now get about 3150fps from standard Rem 180 gr. Swift Siroccos and a little slower velocities frm Barnes 180 gr. TTSX. What I gave up in real Velocity (50-75 fps +/-) I make up for in carry-ability without that long pipe....It's killed everything I've pointed it at so far. I understand the argument that's made around full powder burn, but in the end I don't think I'm giving up that much in real world function for an inherently more carry-able weapon. If I was an LR/ELR Prone only guy I would leave it, but to carry it, I like it a little shorter for sure!

I had a 26" 300 RUM that I cut to 24.5" to run a suppressor. I went from 3070 fps with 210 VLDs to 3000 fps. Nope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.