300 RUM 230 gr target or tacticals?

Ha Ha. I guess that was a good opportunity to throw that in. Thanks for the replies. sounds like you've been around the block on this stuff.

Glad the humor conveyed. Yes, I've been around the block on this stuff. Some of my rifles have been a struggle to find a load that will shoot well in them.

I shoot the 230 OTM from my 300 RUM at 3,000 fps (28" barrel). Shot a black bear with it this spring. Back half of the jacket under the far-side hide, lead core went all the way through. Bear fell and rolled where he stood, got back up about 30 yards downhill and walked maybe 30 yards before expiring. I think it's too much bullet for a (spring) black bear or deer, but perfect for larger game (perhaps fall black bear with all its fat under the hide), especially with the high shoulder shot.

I was going to reply to this early on, but got busy.
I have used the OTM in both 30 cal and 33 cal, they both shoot great on TARGETS, but both did strange things on game once beyond about 600 and I stopped using them for LR game hunting.
Now, I see very often that people recommend them and I truly wonder if they have shot many game with them. I had 3 instances at close range where both the 30 cal and 33 cal failed to open and travel in straight lines and not tumble in the animal, all 3 failed to exit. Then at long range had them fail to open at all and do very little damage, the animals all died, but again, the bullets tumble in the game, this is not because the twist rates were not correct, they were faster than recommended.
Anyway, take from this what you will.

Cheers.