300 RUM 230 Berger Powder Selection

mountaincarver

Ive worked up a load in the 300 rum using the 230 berger hybrid target bullet. I found a very accurate load using h50. my velocity is 2911 with an extreme spread of 8 fps. as I increased the powder charge by about 4 grains in .5 increments, the speed didn't change much but the extreme spread did. my question... is anyone using a different powder getting stable readings and shooting this bullet much faster than this and remaining accurate?

Berger lists 94.0 grains of H50BMG as max load and giving 2,786 fps with that bullet. If I was getting 2,911 fps and an ES of 8 fps I'd load a bunch of them and go see what they do at long range. They should be good. I have had decent results with RL-33 and US869 with lighter bullets. I have some H50BMG and may give that a try with the Berger 210s as my ES is not as good as yours.

Berger lists 94.0 grains of H50BMG as max load and giving 2,786 fps with that bullet. If I was getting 2,911 fps and an ES of 8 fps I'd load a bunch of them and go see what they do at long range. They should be good. I have had decent results with RL-33 and US869 with lighter bullets. I have some H50BMG and may give that a try with the Berger 210s as my ES is not as good as yours.
I was surprised about the velocity as well. I do have a 28" and it has proven to shoot everything I put through it fast. I am .5 over max. ive heard about people shooting these bullets over 3000 fps, but I know I cant do it.... with h50 anyway. actually they shoot way good long range. don't get me wrong, I don't need to shoot them faster, but would be cool if I can.

mountaincarver,
Looks like you found your velocity accuracy node then moved off of it by adding powder and increasing the velocity. What was the SD of the accurate load ? That is a more important reading than just the ES as SD affects vertical stringing of the load greatly. 10 or less is what you want to try for. If you are NOT seeing any pressure signs yet you MAY be able to keep working up the load as you were to see if you can get to another node at a higher velocity. Pay attention to what YOUR rifle is telling you! And always remember that suggested loads by other shooters is what works in THEIR rifle and may be over pressure or highly inaccurate in yours. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected]. Thank you for using our bullets!

I'm getting 3031 with rl-33, 29" Brux. No pressure signs. 3 shots touching at 200. Haven't had the opportunity to check temp sensitivity.

Oh yea, I also found that rl-33 likes the bullet seated close to the lands, at least in my rifle. Once I started trying to jump more than .010 velocity spread opened up. I haven't shot mine a lot, it's heavier than I expected, and I'm saving my pennies to have it nitrided. Don't want to burn the throat out before I have it treated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.