300 rum-200gr accubond-retumbo powder

3200, should be possible, I get 3160-70 with 94gr of retumbo with 210gr bullets. Start around 90gr and work your way up, the accubond has a little more bearing surface than the vld type bullets so pressure may come a little sooner. I use rem 9 1/2m primers.

When I was hunting with the .300 RUM, my go to load was with the 200 gr AB. I was getting 3,225 fps with 92 gr of Retumbo and a 28" barrel. I never used the 210 Berger as I always carried the rifle in Grizzly country.

I get 3220 fps out of my 28" Hart barrel 1-10 twist. I also am in grizzly country often and shoot the 200 AB mostly for big game. I like a strong bullet. For riding around shooting long range at deer and antelope I shoot the 208 Amax. Took a couple around 1000 yards last season with it.

I am in the same speed range, with 95gr retumbo in rem brass, cci 250 primer. Personally I would stay with the accubond over the VLD. The VLD may have an advantage when you get out to 800 plus yards as it should expand at lower velocities, but the accubond is a better all around bullet at the speeds that the rum generates.

My 30" bbl RUM and my brother-in-law's 26" bbl RUM both shoot 94gr Retumbo and the 200gr Accubond very well. I get 3250 out of mine, he's in the low 3100's if I remember correctly. Both rifles have taken elk past 800yds and that bullet performs very well in my opinion. Last fall my 300 also took a mule deer at 1180, and the bullet expanded very well, taking the top 1/4 of the heart off on a quartering away shot. For me it's the best bullet for deer and elk at extended ranges from what I've seen performance and accuracy wise.

3200FPS +/- about 15 ES with the 200 grain AB and Retumbo powder and Federal 215M primers and Remington brass from a 26" Hart on a 700 action that has been blue printed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.