300 RUM, 190 gr LRX vs AK griz

Swamplord

How to hunt big game ?
Get a 300 RUM & get outta town

That's what I did ! Found this griz 50 miles outta town on Wed night around 11:30 pm (6/8/22) and stuck some Barnes 190 gr LRX bullets in him (Barnes factory ammo)

First shot at 14 paces directly in the chest under his chin as he came at me, the impact of the bullet knocked him down but he was back on his feet in a flash, swatting at the ground and snarling, he was broadside at that sec and I shot him in the shoulder the second time, knocking him down/spinning him facing away from me, as I approached him rifle ready, he jumped to his feet and made his way towards the impenetrable thick willow scrub, I shot him a third time directly in the back from ten feet away, breaking his back ... didn't want to go looking for him in the dense willow mess in the middle of the night ....

Suprisingly, with 3 shots in him and a broken back he still crawled away, pulling himself forward with his front paws/claws while snapping at and tearing the brush with his teeth, he made it 75 feet then I walked up on him and at point blank range put another 190 gr LRX bullet just behind the skull, ending it

All in all, the first shot killed him but he either didn't know it or didn't accept it right at the moment, the second shot was "keep shooting till he's down" , third shot was insurance, to confirm he was done , the fourth shot was a mercy shot to prevent unnecessary suffering

All this occured in mere seconds and I didn't have time to think, just react to the situation at hand

Solo bear hunts can be scary at times, especially when they involve a bear that won't give up, lol !

19F9C6F1-ED09-4D84-B565-09DAB2ED635C.jpeg
85A1BF73-E5FA-4751-A942-A93042D96676.jpeg

Congrads on a Great looking Bear !
I agree with you ! Grab a Rum and get at it!
I have 43 or 44 mounts and most were kill with a 300 Rum like the one you have pictured ! Remington 300 Rum LSS .

I jumped on the 338 side for awhile and it too can be deadly on game !
Now I'm getting a new 300 Rum finnished up here shortly . Then load work ..

Thank you for posting this !
I have seen a few Grizz here in Montana but not as close as the one you posted !

I'm glad really ...I dont have the extra $50,000.00 for the fine for shooting one ! Lol

Rum Man

Alaska pays us $50,000 to kill a grizzly. Hahaha

Awesome! Good shooting and thanks for another bear story.

We've shot grizzly and brown bear with the Barnes TSX before. They die, but like you experienced, not necessarily where they stood at the first shot. I just purchased some Shock Hammer bullets for my 338s. I'm thinking those will unleash greater shock & awe. Hoping they take the wind out of'em very quickly. They won't be my long range bullets, but intend to carry them in the mag for in-your-face encounters, of the type you just experienced.

Alaska pays us $50,000 to kill a grizzly. Hahaha

Awesome! Good shooting and thanks for another bear story.

We've shot grizzly and brown bear with the Barnes TSX before. They die, but like you experienced, not necessarily where they stood at the first shot. I just purchased some Shock Hammer bullets for my 338s. I'm thinking those will unleash greater shock & awe. Hoping they take the wind out of'em very quickly. They won't be my long range bullets, but intend to carry them in the mag for in-your-face encounters, of the type you just experienced.

Was gonna take either my 338 Edge or 338 NMI but blasted all my ammo during load workup and didn't have any left, same for the 300 NMI and 300 RUM, but I did have half a box of the Barnes factory 190 gr LRX ammo left from 2020 when I did my 300 RUM factory ammo chrono testing for velocity (second pic in op)

10 hr work day and didn't have much time left in the day, grabbed the RUM and took off

Yeah, I was at a buddies place in northern Idaho goose hunting and we played softball until 10:30 pm and it was still light. How do you do the meat ?
My California bears are unpredictable as far as taste I think it has to do with how much water they have access to so I generally do Italian sausage and friends love it then I tell then it's bear, not elk.
Sounds like as spicy hunt !!

11:30 pm?
correct, when the shooting was done my iphone showed exactly 11:30 pm, the sun was setting on the horizon but still up and it never got dark that night since it was clear blue skys as far as the eye can see

I took this pic just after midnight with my iphone and it was still light out, you can see the bears hind legs sticking out of the hole he'd crawled into, trying to make it into the thick willows... and probably would have gone further if I hadn't shot him in the neck with the fourth shot

847D0AD3-38A2-4554-91E8-88FAFADFC110.jpeg

Last edited: