300 RUM....180 Grain Hornady SST

Pryor

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if anyone out there is reloading there 300 RUM with Hornady's 180 grain SST. I am looking to try Retumbo powder for the first time, the rifle is on order so I have time to snoop around for a good load. Any comments gang? ( not only Retumbo....any powder):D

Hello everybody,
I was wondering if anyone out there is reloading there 300 RUM with Hornady's 180 grain SST. I am looking to try Retumbo powder for the first time, the rifle is on order so I have time to snoop around for a good load. Any comments gang? ( not only Retumbo....any powder):D

H870 and retumbo are the two best powders that I have found for the Ultra. H870 gives the best velocities, especially in the longer barrels. It was discontinued by Hodgdon a few years ago but you can get the exact same powder from Thunderbird cartridge in Az. (T870). The SST is very accurate within velocity limits. They disintegrated in mid air above 3400' in my 11 twist 3 groove barrel.......Rich

I have limited experience reloading with the 300 RUM, but my first two choices in powder were Retumbo and H1000. My first bullet choices were 180 E-Tips, 200 AB's and 210 Bergers. I went with 97.5 gr of Retumbo pushing 180 E-Tips @ 3400 and sub .5 MOA performance out of a Sendero.

For 180 bullets and Retumbo, I would recomend starting with 92 gr and H1000 I would recomend starting with 90 gr.

-Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.