300 Ruger compact magnum thoughts

Vol1975

Looking to rebarrel a 300wm tikka down the road
and I'm looking at possibilities of going with the 300 ruger compact magnum. maybe a little bit of a step down in recoil, keeping the bolt face the same., And would allow me to load a longer bullet.
this Will basically be a white tail gun out to moderate ranges for myself.
looking for peoples opinion who have the gun and shoot it.
what I'm looking for is there opioions on brass availability and options of types brass, feeding of the ammo, accuracy, recoil, their opioions on load information....etc.. any information would be great
Thanks
now I know I could go with the 6.5 prc but many of the places I'm going to hunt here in the south it's going to be thick brush and shooting through brush happens. I would have great concern on running a 130-150 grain bullet at 3000 ish feet per second through brush.
beside Having alot and I mean alot of 30 cal bullets ,the 300 rcm is a bigger version of the creedmore in appearance.
thanks again

the only brass supplier is Hornady and you don't see it in stock very often. the easier option would be the 300 saum and have more brass options.
I have been looking into a 30-6.5 prc. might sound crazy to some but with ADG/Gunwerks brass necked up your right there with the 3006 in case capacity. Hornady 338 rcm brass necked down is also an option and you don't loose much capacity. Dies just shorten 300 rcm dies or hone out a 6.5 prc bushing die. I have already honed out a Hornady 6.5 prc bushing die and have 338 rcm brass here. necked up the Gunwerks brass and necked down 338 rcm brass are only 0.6 difference in capacity 70.3-70.9 and that is right there with the 3006
but as far as the 300 rcm I wouldn't just because of the brass availability

the only brass supplier is Hornady and you don't see it in stock very often. the easier option would be the 300 saum and have more brass options.
I have been looking into a 30-6.5 prc. might sound crazy to some but with ADG/Gunwerks brass necked up your right there with the 3006 in case capacity. Hornady 338 rcm brass necked down is also an option and you don't loose much capacity. Dies just shorten 300 rcm dies or hone out a 6.5 prc bushing die. I have already honed out a Hornady 6.5 prc bushing die and have 338 rcm brass here. necked up the Gunwerks brass and necked down 338 rcm brass are only 0.6 difference in capacity 70.3-70.9 and that is right there with the 3006
but as far as the 300 rcm I wouldn't just because of the brass availability

going to the 300 SAUM I'd have to increase the bolt face. Never done that before and wonder if they would be a feed problem if any out of the factor tikka clip.
how is the brass option for the 300 saum.
I'm just not sure.
May just go the 6.5prc and load heavy.
I'm just doing a lot of research now.

I would not...saying that I built 1 338 RCM and am looking at parts laying in the corner that will become another. I love the little round as it gets incredible performance out of small powder charges and short barrels, I bought 500 pieces of brass so I am good for about-- ever--and I don't shoot that much...the RCMs are about dead, but they did spawn the 6.5PRC that is the new fan boy cart. If it scratches your itch then go for it...but it would be easier to get you a 308...or just keep enjoying the win mag...

going to the 300 SAUM I'd have to increase the bolt face. Never done that before and wonder if they would be a feed problem if any out of the factor tikka clip.
how is the brass option for the 300 saum.
I'm just not sure.
May just go the 6.5prc and load heavy.
I'm just doing a lot of research now.
the 300 wm, 300 rcm, and 300 saum all have the same bolt face so wont be an issue
300 saum brass is rare but there is plenty of 7mm saum available simple neck up
I feed the nosler cases out of 300 wm cip length mags all the time. your tikka shouldn't be a problem

I like the tikka and the gun and what I've done with it. The barrel sooner than later will start to show its life. Im just looking at down sizing Some with that gun on recoil if I can. I'm primary a hunter and not a target guy that burns powder. I primary use an 06 that has shown its age a decade ago but it still holds a good groups at distance below 300 yards.

just gathering data now. I really like the aspect of the 300rcm but brass availability scares me. any Way just gathering information From people who have the gun and there thoughts on thing around the gun.
thanks fellas

forgot to mention don't load heavy for the 6.5 prc. way to many problems with sizing brass after a couple reloads even the ADG brass has the problem maybe even worse than the Hornady.

the 300 wm, 300 rcm, and 300 saum all have the same bolt face so wont be an issue
300 saum brass is rare but there is plenty of 7mm saum available simple neck up
I feed the nosler cases out of 300 wm cip length mags all the time. your tikka shouldn't be a problem

I was thinking the 300 wm has a bolt face of .532 and the SAUM has a bolt face of .534.
maybe I looked at it wrong.

but I'm looking at all options.

Brass is easy - there is Hornady, and that's it.
You can buy their ammo, shoot it and then reload, or buy the brass direct.

My business partner has one; bought a demo rifle at the SHOT show several years ago from Christensen Arms when they were only doing customs. He doesn't mind shooting factory ammo, but we're definitely keeping all of the brass as I don't foresee ammo being easily available forever.

Personally I would not intentionally chamber a rifle in this caliber given the brass/ammo limitations. There are better options.

forgot to mention don't load heavy for the 6.5 prc. way to many problems with sizing brass after a couple reloads even the ADG brass has the problem maybe even worse than the Hornady.

If I went the barrel route I would get a custom reamer and spec it to Sami spec on the brass end. I wonder if I done this it would fix the problem on the resize end of it I keep hearing. with lapua picking up the prc it's looking more like the 6.5 prc route.

my opinion is that you need to spec the reamer larger in the base for more clearance. Hornady brass is .5295-.530 and the ADG is .5305-.531 and the reamer is .533 that don't leave much clearance for case expansion, work hardening, and spring back when sizing. I am going to spec a reamer from .533 to .5345 at the 200 line and from .5168 to .5173 at shoulder this will let me still use standard dies and get .004 sizing in base and .003 at shoulder. the tighter spec. that they have now are ok if you don't run them at redline all the time. I have Hornady brass that got 15 reloads and never lost the primer pockets the necks starter to split and the base work hardened causing the sizing problem. the ADG might not even last that long because they start fatter in base than Hornady.

Can1010

The brass sizing issue with 6.5 PRC is not an isolated problem. There are other cartridges with this problem. Just read a long thread on Long Range Only where this was discussed. It appears to be the tougher thicker brass with more memory or perhaps the type of taper to the case that is causing the clicker and sometimes extraction issue showing up with 2X or 3X brass. I have seen it with the 338 RCM and 300 RUM. Figure the WSMs could have this issue too.

In a nutshell, the difference between the chamber spec reamer and the reamer spec the die makers use is not enough to properly size down the base/web area. It is not a pressure issue.

Either a larger chamber reamer is in order or a die that reduces the base area with more clearance. At this point we shooters cannot get through to the die makers that there is an issue.

According to my readings having a case that has its body diameter reduced a bit more for ease of extraction will not cause the rifle to loose its accuracy.

link to lengthy thread on LRO:

Can1010

The brass sizing issue with 6.5 PRC is not an isolated problem. There are other cartridges with this problem. Just read a long thread on Long Range Only where this was discussed. It appears to be the tougher thicker brass with more memory or perhaps the type of taper to the case that is causing the clicker and sometimes extraction issue showing up with 2X or 3X brass. I have seen it with the 338 RCM and 300 RUM. Figure the WSMs could have this issue too.

In a nutshell, the difference between the chamber spec reamer and the reamer spec the die makers use is not enough to properly size down the base/web area. It is not a pressure issue.

Either a larger chamber reamer is in order or a die that reduces the base area with more clearance. At this point we shooters cannot get through to the die makers that there is an issue.

According to my readings having a case that has its body diameter reduced a bit more for ease of extraction will not cause the rifle to loose its accuracy.

link to lengthy thread on LRO:
yes I have read that on LRO I have been keeping up with it. right now I have been working with ring dies and small base dies and the problem is no matter how small you make the die it will only size back to the original base size then add in .001 or more for springback doesn't leave enough clearance
example small base die made from a 300 RCM die .5275 dia.
ADG start .5305 to start and .5335 after 3 reloads will only size to .5315-.532 no mater what I try
Hornady starting .5295 avg will only size to .531-.5315
that is why I am getting a larger reamer. I like the PRC and with more brass options coming along I think that is the best option because dies or die makers are not the answer

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.