300 Ruger compact magnum thoughts

The RCMs are pretty much dead right now. The 300 WSM or 300 SAUM would be a much better choice for sourcing ammo and brass. Still 308 bullets, no bolt face modifications, less recoil than the win mag.

I have a 300 RCM in a Ruger M77 compact. It's a neat package but dont forget the RCM was all about equaling or surpassing a 300 Win or a WSM in a 20" barrel.

In handloads because of the lack of powder availability here in Australia it's very hard to achieve the Hornady claimed velocities lack alone the Superformance.

My 300RCM ruger is crazy accurate and it was cheap. It may take a while but if you want a 300RCM look around and try buy one second hand. They are available. Just not popular so you will get a good deal.

IMHO the 300RCM is all about the package, short action short 20" barrel.

In a Tikka in a long action you get no benefits and may struggle to get "Magnum" velocities.

As a rebarrel cant recommend the 300RCM even though I like the cartridge.

If I had a 300 RCM, it would be rebarreled to 300 WSM or 6.5 PRC when I ran out of brass.

the 300 win short mag route and the bolt face is currently .535
and my current bolt face is .532

so what is involved going to a larger bolt face on a tikka.

I don't know. what Are the options on going to a larger bolt face. I like the aspects of the 300 rcm but the brass availability scares me.

You wont have to change anything. A magnum bolt face is a magnum bolt face is a magnum boltface. .532 to .535 is .003 or 3, 1 thousandths of an inch. A little smaller than a human hair. The factories arent cutting one bolt face for the magnums and a different ever so slightly bigger boltface for other magnums. Your bolt face has the clearance for the WSMs or I'll eat my hat.

Last edited:
You wont have to change anything. A magnum bolt face is a magnum bolt face is a magnum boltface. .532 to .535 is .003 or 3, 1 thousandths of an inch. A little smaller than a human hair. The factories arent cutting one bolt face for the magnums and a different ever so slightly bigger boltface for other magnums. Your bolt face has the clearance for the WSMs or I'll eat my hat.
Thanks. I did not no If it would make a difference or not.
that open up a little more varieties of calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.