300 rem SAUM converstion question

Glock119

Can a Rem 700 - 300Rem SAUM be rebarreled for the win 300 WSM?

Will the bolt facing be correct without need to open up? I put a 300 WSM round in bolt face by hand and it seemed to fit but was unsure how it would feed in rifle as rifle is chambered now for the shorter 300 rem saum.

Also how is the overall length? Will the 300WSM feed smoooothly in the Rem? is there enough overall length in action and mag?

Would like to be able to have new hart barrel installed after the other is shot out, just wondering if all would work correctly.

Thanks, Ben

Shadowman,

You can chamber the Remington 700 & M7 in 300 WSM, I have built several. The WSM will benefit from an extended box mag like the one Wyatt's sells. This will require machining of the action and will not work on the M7. The very best feeding option in my opinion is to put a HS precision box mag assembly in the gun, it is longer than the stock box mag, not quite as long as the Wyatt's box but feeds from the center making it a feeding dream. The boltface is already the correct size, no work there. If you want the WSM, rebarrel and go longer in the box.

[ QUOTE ]
Shadowman,

You can chamber the Remington 700 & M7 in 300 WSM, I have built several. The WSM will benefit from an extended box mag like the one Wyatt's sells. This will require machining of the action and will not work on the M7. The very best feeding option in my opinion is to put a HS precision box mag assembly in the gun, it is longer than the stock box mag, not quite as long as the Wyatt's box but feeds from the center making it a feeding dream. The boltface is already the correct size, no work there. If you want the WSM, rebarrel and go longer in the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the HS Precision detachable mag was the same length but just a little wider?

Also what metal work would need to be done to use the detachable style mag from HS? I installed one on another rifle of mine and only had to remove material around the mag well on the stock.

It seems to fit and function perfect. Did I forget or overlook something? Thanks for the help.

Wyatt's mag box is also a center feed, probably what Shawn meant though, BUT the Wyatt box does require machining back the the rear of the mag well opening in the "receiver".

Wyatt's makes both center and staggered feed, they require machining of the action. The HS detachable does not require machining only slight stock fitting. The HS will accept longer OAL than factory. For instance the long action mags will take 3.700" instead of the factory 3.600". The short action has an additional .070"-.090" I don't recall off the top of my head. The ease of fitting, excellent feeding & additional length are the reasons I would recommend the HS.

Shawn thanks for the last post. I was going to ask if it was necessary to use anything more than the HS but you beat me to my question.

Again thanks for all of the input from everyone, and its great to be someplace where someone is able to answer questions before there asked. Thanks again. Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.