300 prc

I don't know that I'll ever make it there, I've looked at them but haven't convinced my self that it's a must have! I'm excited to see how your build turns out. I'm still not sure how you let that 28 go.
Hahaha yeah, I don't think I'll go that route. That 28 was badass. But I honestly just new I wouldn't grab it out of the safe once I had 300 NMI up and running. I'd rather still see it out killing a bunch of stuff than just being a safe queen. Also, I don't decisions lol. I want one rifle as my designated killer. Not having to decide before every hunt haha.

Hahaha yeah, I don't think I'll go that route. That 28 was badass. But I honestly just new I wouldn't grab it out of the safe once I had 300 NMI up and running. I'd rather still see it out killing a bunch of stuff than just being a safe queen. Also, I don't decisions lol. I want one rifle as my designated killer. Not having to decide before every hunt haha.
I wish I could get to where you are. I still play flip a coin and the "how many backs up guns should I take"

But then having multiples to shoot every year keeps you from having to wear out your favorites.

My 6.5 LRM is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, shooting clover leaves with multiple bullets in the 130-140gr range consistently at or above 3,400fps but if I shot it as much as I'd like to I'd already be on my 2nd or 3rd barrel.

Thankfully with 3 .260's, and 3 eah 300m's, 300Rums and 7mm STW's I don't have to wear out any of my favorite gals. 😂

But then having multiples to shoot every year keeps you from having to wear out your favorites.

My 6.5 LRM is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot, shooting clover leaves with multiple bullets in the 130-140gr range consistently at or above 3,400fps but if I shot it as much as I'd like to I'd already be on my 2nd or 3rd barrel.

Thankfully with 3 .260's, and 3 eah 300m's, 300Rums and 7mm STW's I don't have to wear out any of my favorite gals. 😂
True! I did buy a 6.5 PRC for a coyote gun and back up deer rifle if need be. But i'll never plan to actually take it hunting. It's a "just in case" rifle haha. And I shot my 28 Nosler barrel out in 18 Months haha

Ok so you have 3 rums and 3 300 win, is this from when you were guiding or what makes you take the win over the rum. You found a way to have them both and I'm curious as to how you got there.

Ok so you have 3 rums and 3 300 win, is this from when you were guiding or what makes you take the win over the rum. You found a way to have them both and I'm curious as to how you got there.
The only advantage of the win is the availability of brass and lower recoil.

I have both because I shot the Winnies for a long time, then once I shot the first Rum I bought it as well because I shoot really big hogs fairly often and frequently well beyond 750 yards so I wanted the extra energy.

Why do I have so many of everything? Well, I see one I like and I buy it HA!

If you cant kill with a 300 PRC I don't think the 300 RUM is going to either !

But you know the saying Happy Wife Happy Life, sell that roach 300 PRC and get her the 300 RUM !
All joking aside the 300 PRC is an excellent cartridge and would be the only 30 cal I would build.

Last edited:
I love my .300 PRC. Well .30 Sherman but same idea. Shot it out to 1300 with the 224 hammers. And shot some decent game out past 500. Do think anything took more than a step or two. The audad I shot didn't like it one bit just past 200. Hog just past 500 and it was bang flop.
Maybe if it's a speed thing maybe have it teamed out to .30 Sherman.
I'm pushing the 214 at 3180fps with a soft load showing zero pressure. The 199's would be smoking fast.

I love my .300 PRC. Well .30 Sherman but same idea. Shot it out to 1300 with the 224 hammers. And shot some decent game out past 500. Do think anything took more than a step or two. The audad I shot didn't like it one bit just past 200. Hog just past 500 and it was bang flop.
Maybe if it's a speed thing maybe have it teamed out to .30 Sherman.
I'm pushing the 214 at 3180fps with a soft load showing zero pressure. The 199's would be smoking fast.
I have always wanted a 30 Caliber, but was never a WM fan, one I did not care for the BC on the bullets below 215 grain, then thought maybe PRC, but hearing issues with brass resizing having problems with clickers, now I am interested in the 30 Sherman, can you tell me what charge you are running to achieve that FPS and which powder?

I'm at 81 gr rl26 in my rifle. 26" tube. Same load works for my brothers 30 Sherman same barrel and same speed zero pressure in either.
I actually have a fantastic win mag I run the 181 hammers in to 1k.
Never saw the PRC as worth the change but the .30 Sherman was worth it. Very happy with my choice.

Recent Posts