300 prc

bsnyder

Ok, I need some help. It will take a bit to get through the back story but here we go.
I had a 300 rum that was my first true big game reach out and touch em gun. It was love at first shot. Then I shot the barrel out taking many many big game critters along the way. My wife always loved this rifle as well and used to it to shoot a few of her own.

Fast forward I got a new job and we were moving out of state with a big bouns in hand along with Biden bucks we decide to go upgrade some rifles. She decides browning xbolt long range to match her 26 nosler. The kicker they only have a 300 prc. She buys it, I start breaking it shot it at 490 yards with factory ammo in a rus and the steel target swings 6/6.

We move I start load development she shoots and and says it's not a 300 rum. She doesn't like the recoil, I changed the break. Adjusted the stock. She shoots again and says it's still not the rum.

So my load I found was 82.5 grs of n565 and 199 hammers. It's very accurate and I'm getting over 3100 fps but it's in my head as it's just not the same as my rum was. (The rum action was used to make a 338 edge btw very much love it but it's heavy at 14lbs).

I have not had a chance to shoot any animals with it. So my question is do I sell this thing or do I give it a chance and put some animals down and shoot some steel and see if it grows on me? What is causing me not to love the 300 prc. Is it all mental and I need to get over it?

Thanks for the help.

Oh and one last thing, no I don't need anyone to hold it for me as I have plenty of space. I'm just looking for a direction to go.

Went to Texas and shot 4 deer and a huge hog. No complaints from 40-350 yards.

I've shot the 199s to thousand yards and they shot consistent the whole way.

Got into the prc because the rifle i wanted came available and happened to be 300 prc....i was planning on building a RUM. Then another one came up for sale and bam.... now i have two prcs.

If you love the RUM.... that's what i would go with. The prc is good but it isn't magic.

I think you just developed a need for speed and power with the bigger cartridge. Everything else just seems inferior, even though you know it is PLENTY of gun. Basically identical ballistics just 1-200 yards closer. So the RUM holds same ballistics out to 600 yards that the PRC does at 500. It's a tough mental hurdle haha.

I was having a 300 Norma built, but decided to go 300 Norma Improved just because I knew wouldn't regret getting another 100 FPS.

Ok, I need some help. It will take a bit to get through the back story but here we go.
I had a 300 rum that was my first true big game reach out and touch em gun. It was love at first shot. Then I shot the barrel out taking many many big game critters along the way. My wife always loved this rifle as well and used to it to shoot a few of her own.

Fast forward I got a new job and we were moving out of state with a big bouns in hand along with Biden bucks we decide to go upgrade some rifles. She decides browning xbolt long range to match her 26 nosler. The kicker they only have a 300 prc. She buys it, I start breaking it shot it at 490 yards with factory ammo in a rus and the steel target swings 6/6.

We move I start load development she shoots and and says it's not a 300 rum. She doesn't like the recoil, I changed the break. Adjusted the stock. She shoots again and says it's still not the rum.

So my load I found was 82.5 grs of n565 and 199 hammers. It's very accurate and I'm getting over 3100 fps but it's in my head as it's just not the same as my rum was. (The rum action was used to make a 338 edge btw very much love it but it's heavy at 14lbs).

I have not had a chance to shoot any animals with it. So my question is do I sell this thing or do I give it a chance and put some animals down and shoot some steel and see if it grows on me? What is causing me not to love the 300 prc. Is it all mental and I need to get over it?

Thanks for the help.

Oh and one last thing, no I don't need anyone to hold it for me as I have plenty of space. I'm just looking for a direction to go.
It's got to be mental on her part. The Rum has a fair bit more recoil than the PRC.

What kind of recoil pad does the PRC Have? I'm a big fan of the Limbsavers and Pachmayr.

EDTA:

Reread your posts. If the Rum weighs 14lbs and the Browning is substantially lighter that could be your whole problem. Felt recoil is a combination of the weight of the rifle and the energy at the muzzle.

You may not be able to get her to love it so you might want to consider stepping down to something like the 300wm or even the 7-375R, 6.5-375 Ruger, 7mmLRM, or 6.5LRM.

Of course if you could find her a lowly old 264wm you might get her to fall in love with it real fast.

At reasonable ranges the 6.5 and 7mm's are more than capable of taking anything with perhaps the exception of the largest Bears that can be found in N. America.

A .264wm with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist can handle even the heavier 6.5 bullets available today with considerably less recoil.

I'd start with trying to correct the issue though with a better brake and recoil pad if she's not already convinced it's time to go in another direction.

The problem is you're going to take a considerable loss reselling it so I'd probably just rebarrel in something more user friendly if you think she'll be happy with that.

Last edited:
I think you just developed a need for speed and power with the bigger cartridge. Everything else just seems inferior, even though you know it is PLENTY of gun. Basically identical ballistics just 1-200 yards closer. So the RUM holds same ballistics out to 600 yards that the PRC does at 500. It's a tough mental hurdle haha.

I was having a 300 Norma built, but decided to go 300 Norma Improved just because I knew wouldn't regret getting another 100 FPS.
Yeah I get that! I'm still thinking about having my edge +p'd and it has a whole 4 rounds down it. The prc is almost at 100 not even broke in yet.

See my edit above.
My 338 edge weighs. 14lbs. The rum I had weighed about 10. She shoots her 26 nosler more than anything and told me to do with the prc what I want. Sorry my opening post was A little all over the place. She has her favorites which go like this, 26 nosler, 300 rum (no dead and gone), 257 wby, 7mmstw and unfortunately my brand new build 7 Sherman max. Yes the felt recoil is dead on as is your whole edit.

Hahaha I'm looking at the "Allen Magnums" and I don't even have my Norma yet!
I don't know that I'll ever make it there, I've looked at them but haven't convinced my self that it's a must have! I'm excited to see how your build turns out. I'm still not sure how you let that 28 go.

My 338 edge weighs. 14lbs. The rum I had weighed about 10. She shoots her 26 nosler more than anything and told me to do with the prc what I want. Sorry my opening post was A little all over the place. She has her favorites which go like this, 26 nosler, 300 rum (no dead and gone), 257 wby, 7mmstw and unfortunately my brand new build 7 Sherman max. Yes the felt recoil is dead on as is your whole edit.
If she's having a love affair with the 7mmSTW she's a smart gal. 😂

If you like the PRC keep it and shoot it, if not find it a good home.