300 prc with 22” barrel

Dirt_Nap

Building a 300prc strictly for elk hunting. Wanting a cf barrel and my smith says 22" is fine if I will be shooting suppressed which I rarely do. I rarely shoot past 500. Is 22" a good setup? Should I go longer for hunting? Should I go 1-9 twist? Proof sendero cf good or go with another brand?

If I lived in a state where I had the right to own a suppressor I would!! X2!!

I would also save some serious coin and buy the 300 PRC Mesa barrel on here. Barrel was broken in right and is proven to 1,000. Your smith could cut it down and thread it if you wanted. It has a WTO switch lug set up already so if you wanted you could just pop it off and take to the smith if it is too long for your liking!! Win/Win. I would say 1-8 or 1-9 to twist the coppers.

Balance and blast are real factors when shooting a large dose of powder. All compounding exponentially with distance.

Building a 300prc strictly for elk hunting. Wanting a cf barrel and my smith says 22" is fine if I will be shooting suppressed which I rarely do. I rarely shoot past 500. Is 22" a good setup? Should I go longer for hunting? Should I go 1-9 twist? Proof sendero cf good or go with another brand?
1-9 will shoot everything besides a 245 Berger. If you want to shoot 245s a 1-8 would be good, 22" barrel will be just fine.

Ok. So why would everyone not just go 1-8? Is it bad for lower grain bullets?

Some do, some don't.

The rule of thumb handed down from the Benchrest shooters is to use the slowest twist rate available which stabilizes the bullet of choice. This results in the best overall accuracy. However...

There will be a substantial number of shooters who have differing opinions on how stability is defined so they express their opinions as if they are exactingly correct albeit with differing answers. Watch and see...

The other problem that occurs is what if your rifle doesn't like that long, heavy bullet and you've committed to the faster twist rate but you find that the RPMs might be a little too fast for those lighter, shorter bullets. Now what?

This road to finding the best bullets, twist rates, seating depths and powder selection is a narrow, twisty path which can become complicated. Don't jump to conclusions which aren't supported by good research.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Ok. So why would everyone not just go 1-8? Is it bad for lower grain bullets?
I got asked a similar question on SH, here is my rationale:

1-9t in actuality covers everything you'll realistically be able to and want to shoot in the cartridge; 180-230 grain. Quite frankly anything north of 230 is better served in a Norma Magnum. Additionally, in the big 30's a fast twist may possibly limit you to the heavy stuff, 230+, as there are plenty of guys who have their 1-8's turn the lighter stuff into dust mid flight as jackets separate. I have 230 A Tips, they are plenty for out to a mile. My understanding there as well is that you should take the speed of < 230 grain projectiles since at most distances you will not really even be able to take advantage of the added BC from the 250 A Tip. Norma Mag makes sense for the 250 since you can get it moving faster. Hornady made there OTC Match load based around a 225 grain for a reason. It's a balance of speed and BC at a given distance. I would go as for to say that inside of, say, 1000 yards you are actually hindering yourself from a technical / performance standpoint taking the 250 over the 230. Again, balance of speed and BC at a given distance. There are a couple 300 PRC threads on here that are really good reads on all this, here is one:

My big 30s are all 8 twists to handle monos and 245 Bergers. Maybe I'll tear up an A-Tip jacket at some point like I've heard that I will, but from a 22" 300 PRC you aren't going to be pushing anything fast enough to blow up absent a mechanical defect induced on that jacket by the rifling.

FWIW I went 24", no real reason other than it wasn't too long.

22-24" 8 twist should be fine for anything you'd want to shoot, one caveat of staying over 180gn. Just in case you though you could fling 125s or something to nuke gophers ;)