300 prc vs 30 nosler

Gentlemen im going to have one of my remington 700 actions currently chanbere in .300 win mag rebarreled into a big 30. Trying to decide between the 300 PRC and the 30 Nosler. Im leaning toward the PRC, please give me you opinions on this matter particularly from any of you gentlemen that have had experience with one or both of the cartridges. Thanks

Below is the excerpt from a published comparsion of 300PRC versus other 300 magnum cartridges. Sorry, didn't capture the writer info when I saved for reference....apologies to original writer whom ever you might be.

30 Nosler vs. Hornady .300 PRC
Just a year or so ago I wrote that the 30 Nosler was arguably the single best-designed .30-caliber magnum in existence. Today, I have to give that nod to the .300 PRC.

As a matter of mirror-image fact, the two cases are extremely similar. The PRC's solitary advantage is its longer head height and throat, which play nicer with extremely long, high-BC bullets. But if you have little interest in shooting past 600 yards, there's little difference in performance between the two. In fact, because it's got a shorter throat that engages light-ish, short-shanked projectiles faster, the 30 Nosler actually may provide more consistent accuracy with popular deer-weight bullets.

However, I'm constrained to confess the fact that I have absolutely no use for bullets lighter than 180 grains in any 30-caliber magnum. I'd rather have the better long-range capability provided by 200-plus-grain projectiles, so at least for me that's a moot point.

300PRC (left) versus 300 Nosler (clearly shows head height advantage of PRC....similar advantage over the old warrior 300WinMag.)
300PRC vs 30 Nosler.jpg

Note that the 300WM has similar short head dimension.....0.72"..... (top of case to SAMMI COAL) disadvantage as the 300Nosler compared to the 300PRC....1.12". Longer head dimension plays better with long, heavy-for-caliber bullets. The 300WM suffers from the headspacing issues of the belted design; and, the throat looseness WM @ 0.315 vs 300PRC @ 0.3088.....difference in consistency of presentation to the rifling.

I think ammo availability in the hinter lands will be advantage PRC over Nosler very quickly. But, then no one on LRH ever shoots more than planned, loses, forgets, has airline/Customs issues/limits, or needs different grain bullet for unexpected opportunity. :) :)

Last edited:
rifle barrel is from blank bartlien. can be either. interested in pros/cons of both. will also reload im guessing for this rifle, unless it ends up shooting something factory ...
There are several threads on this subject on this site. From a basic SAAMI view, the Nosler is designed like previous cartridges to shoot traditional weight 30 call bullets where the 300 PRC SAAMI spec was set up to allow heavy for caliber bullets to be easily used in a stock 300 PRC. Now of course a custom chamber can short circuit this advantage the SAAMI spec gives the PRC, but then you will maybe be affecting your rifles ability to shoot 30 Nosler factory ammo accurately as the ogives will be a mile off the lands. So, if your a hand loader and you want the most long range performance, the Nos has a little more gas than the PRC, do a custom 30 Nosler chamber to handle the new long 30 call bullets and don't look back. If you want to shoot factory stuff and hand loads and get great long range performance from both, make sure your magazine is 3.7+ inches, a 3.8 would be best, and build a 300 PRC. Or, build one of the other super 30s like a Norma.

Personally I'd go for a PRC because I like Hornady and I like the potential flexibility of both factory and hand loads shooting great. I see people on a FB group getting great accuracy out of the PRC as well.

I have a 300 Win and have thought and study this very question Between the three out to 500 yards there they're basically the same and magazine well is your limiting factor. With the PRC and Nosler you have a shorter case that's fat so longer bullet is not pushed into charge witch makes compacted load So if your going to shoot long range the 300 Norm on an H&H length action is really a big 30 and you have an action that allows for an overall magazine length with the haver bullets

30- 28 Nosler is a great choice, it has a bit more powder capacity than the standard 28Nosler and all you do is neck the brass up and shoot. ADG makes great brass for it. It shoots the Berger 215 and 230 lights out and I have seen a guy get great results with the Berger 245, I am getting ready to load some 245's up for mine and see what I can get, it looks promising. Also the 30-28 Nosler has been a very easy cartridge to load for, very accurate.

Gentlemen im going to have one of my remington 700 actions currently chanbere in .300 win mag rebarreled into a big 30. Trying to decide between the 300 PRC and the 30 Nosler. Im leaning toward the PRC, please give me you opinions on this matter particularly from any of you gentlemen that have had experience with one or both of the cartridges. Thanks
Simply said, I too lean toward the PRC.

If your possibly thinking a Big Boy then the 338 class is Amazing ! I have the 338 Rums and the 338 Edge's .QUOTE]
If you had one or the other which would you prefer? is the Edge worth it? I am doing a 338 of some flavor next, I was thinking 33 Nosler, 338 RUM or 338 Edge.

If you had one or the other which would you prefer? is the Edge worth it? I am doing a 338 of some flavor next, I was thinking 33 Nosler, 338 RUM or 338 Edge.
Well I built the same two to rifles but in a 338 Rum and a 338 Edge . Almost the same in everything except the dies .
My two rifles were built with Remington actions , bolt face trued lugs lapped . Both have 30 " carbon barrels two different brakes. Same triggers timney 510 .
It was easy to tune both of them .
They both have H-1000 powder , CCi mag 250 primes and 300 grain berger Elite hunters. The Rum is at 2884 ft.per.sec and the Edge is is 2883 ft.per.sec. both are Shooting the same groups .
The Edge dies cost alot more and are hard to find . Plus one more step of sizing 300 Rum Brass .

Hands down the 338 Rum is my first choice for a new builder !!
Both of these rifles have been out to 1500 yrds.plus with ease . One of my other 338 Edges has put a 26 3/4" group on a steel target at 3027 yards. It's a 19 lb. Set up .
I built the two above for hiking in the Mountains so they are ready to shoot at 10.6 pounds .
Next 338 will be a 338 Rum 26" Carbon in a 1/9 twist , Mcmillian edge stock and a light weight scope . I'm shooting for 9 lbs all in .

Rum Man

Well I built the same two to rifles but in a 338 Rum and a 338 Edge . Almost the same in everything except the dies .
My two rifles were built with Remington actions , bolt face trued lugs lapped . Both have 30 " carbon barrels two different brakes. Same triggers timney 510 .
It was easy to tune both of them .
They both have H-1000 powder , CCi mag 250 primes and 300 grain berger Elite hunters. The Rum is at 2884 ft.per.sec and the Edge is is 2883 ft.per.sec. both are Shooting the same groups .
The Edge dies cost alot more and are hard to find . Plus one more step of sizing 300 Rum Brass .

Hands down the 338 Rum is my first choice for a new builder !!
Both of these rifles have been out to 1500 yrds.plus with ease . One of my other 338 Edges has put a 26 3/4" group on a steel target at 3027 yards. It's a 19 lb. Set up .
I built the two above for hiking in the Mountains so they are ready to shoot at 10.6 pounds .
Next 338 will be a 338 Rum 26" Carbon in a 1/9 twist , Mcmillian edge stock and a light weight scope . I'm shooting for 9 lbs all in .

Rum Man
Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are very similar in performance and the 338 RUM is cheaper to shoot. I would be doing a 9-10 pound rifle similar to how I built my 28 Nosler. You have some nice shooting rifles, hopefully my build will come out as nice.

If you can send in a dummy round to determine the freebore, I would go with the nosler as you'll get a little more velocity. If you want to use off the shelf reamer that your gunsmith has, or if you're buying a prefit, 300 PRC.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Where would you seat a Berger 215 in a dummy round? I'm not quite up to the latest theory here. Would you seat the bearing surface above the shoulder neck junction therefore requiring the longer throat?

If I seat the bullet boat tail transition right at the shoulder neck junction, the SAMMI .110" throat is a perfect match for the Berger 215. End up with around a 3.600" OAL.

Is everyone here wanting to keep the bearing surface out of the donut area? Is that the reason for the .225" throat?
Or is the longer throat for pressure and velocity and the bullet is seated at the junction?

If I seat the bullet boat tail transition right at the shoulder neck junction, the SAMMI .110" throat is a perfect match for the Berger 215. End up with around a 3.600" OAL.
You want .200-215 freebore for the 215 Berger and your O.A.L will be just a tad over 3.7

Just adding my .02$. They are both very similar. I built a 30 nos because I was limited on max mag length. I'm Shooting the 205 berger elite @ 3035 in adg brass. It shoots 3/8th inch groups at 100. If I wasn't restricted by mag length, I'd have gone for the prc because of the premium factory ammunition. Everyone's situation is different, but like someone already said, the animals not going to tell the difference.