300 prc vs 30 nosler

rse69

Gentlemen im going to have one of my remington 700 actions currently chanbere in .300 win mag rebarreled into a big 30. Trying to decide between the 300 PRC and the 30 Nosler. Im leaning toward the PRC, please give me you opinions on this matter particularly from any of you gentlemen that have had experience with one or both of the cartridges. Thanks

rifle barrel is from blank bartlien. can be either. interested in pros/cons of both. will also reload im guessing for this rifle, unless it ends up shooting something factory ...

If you can send in a dummy round to determine the freebore, I would go with the nosler as you'll get a little more velocity. If you want to use off the shelf reamer that your gunsmith has, or if you're buying a prefit, 300 PRC.
Just run .200- 225 freebore if you wanna shoot the 210-215 and ADG brass and all will be good or just have your smith throat to a dummy round if all he has is a saami 30 Nosler reamer.
Don't discount the 30-28 either.

I recently had a 300 win mag put together with a 28" barrel and during my research between the nosler and the win mag I found that they are nearly the same. I get 2900 FPS comfortably with a 225 eldm with my win mag. I don't know about the prc. If you want as you said a big 30. I would say a 30 Sherman mag is the next step. I don't think a regular 300 prc or 30 nosler have much advantage over a properly throated win mag. But maybe the same could be said for a properly throated 30 nosler. Win mag brass is cheaper and easier to find also imo. Just my 2 cents.

The only reason I went PRC was that I feel like it will be the cartridge that gains more widespread popularity. I think that down the line ammo will be easier to get and from more manufacturers.

I don't think the Nosler is going to be around long term. Not enough factory guns chambered in 30 Nosler and not enough manufacturers producing ammo. I'd choose the PRC but there isn't a lot of difference between it, the Nosler and the WM. Pick which ever one you fancy.

Ya, I'm biased but the 30 SM seems to be outrunning the Nosler from the early reports and you can shoot Factory PRC ammo VERY accurately if you want to.
Seems like a win, win to me!
Mine runs the 245 very close to 3000' at high node with pin point accuracy and my brass is living there too. Here was a cold bore shot at 880 yesterday to check everything out.
IMG_20200806_155140884.jpg