300 PRC versus 30 Nosler

It wasn't too long ago that the 30 Nosler was the New sexy and the 300 WM was just as good, and not long before that only the young kids had to have magnums. For me, I suspect I like to tinker, so I like em all. The sexy guns of today intrigue me because they are made / designed entirely around long slippery bullets and fast twist barrels... I dig it. But in reality, a third of North American big game was on the brink of extinction at the hands of fellas with sticks and sharp rocks and those other fellas with those new sexy thunder sticks. I suppose this isn't a new question.
I'd like to see a comparison of these two with the 300 Sherman.

I also don't see a big enough difference between the Nosler, PRC and WM.
The throating thing is mute for me. I run A191 chambers for my LR stuff so there is no advantage with the PRC on a Rem 700 platform.
Recently bought my first 300RUM, just to compare and run some numbers, but still can't source ammo for it or dies (Dies are being located for me by a member here)
Have had a 30-378 Weatherby in the past, but that amount of powder for the velocity gain was just ridiculous...a pound of powder didn't go far. Same thing with my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°. Powder usage is ridiculous also, but I only shoot that a dozen times and normally only 40 rounds at a time.
I have never really gone for all the hype when new cartridges come out.
I don't have a man bun, in fact I shave my head and have a foot long goatee beard, so no Creedmoor's in my safe.
I have a 6.5x47 Lapua instead. Lol.

Cheers.
I was with you until you said WM. There is a big spread in performance once you jump from the WM to the 30N, especially with larger bullets. Perhaps not under 500 yards but once you jump out to 800+ the PRC and 30N will outperform it considerably.

I was with you until you said WM. There is a big spread in performance once you jump from the WM to the 30N, especially with larger bullets. Perhaps not under 500 yards but once you jump out to 800+ the PRC and 30N will outperform it considerably.
Please show me the figures. Cuz what you say is not true. How do they outrun a 300WM at 800+? The PRC has LESS capacity than the 300WM...so how does it do better with heavier bullets?
Barrel lengths?
I run 32" barreled 300WM, A191 chambers.
Pushing 230g OTM's above 3100fps. 215's above 3200fps.
Jeff Brozovich did a side by side test with the 300WM and PRC, velocity ended up being identical.
Real world results always trumps HYPE.
Show me the advantage.
If you're gonna say that they both can seat long bullets out further....HOGWASH.
The 300 magnums that run considerably faster are the Norma, RUM or 30-378.

Cheers.

Last edited:
My own figures partly confirm @JMGamesniper19

I run 225s in my 300 win. Super compressed load, bullet still too far out to function as a repeater, yielding 2760fps (3800 foot pounds, full house 300 win horsepower - if one could obtain rl26 I'm sure it'd do more).

the factory 300 prc 225 ammo is repeater ready from the same action length and starts out 50 FPS faster. That's factory. Handloads should
Beat that by another 50 at least.

the Nosler round should beat this by another 50-100 at equal pressure.

now, does repeater capability and 100-150 extra FPS matter for loooong range hunting? Not to me. But to some it could I suppose

Please show me the figures. Cuz what you say is not true. How do they outrun a 300WM at 800+?
Barrel lengths?
I run 32" barreled 300WM, A191 chambers.
Pushing 230g OTM's above 3100fps.
Show me the advantage.
If you're gonna say that they both can seat long bullets out further....HOGWASH.
The 300 magnums that run considerably faster are the Norma, RUM or 30-378.

Cheers.
I think Calvin said it well. It is a well known and data supported that the 300 WM is less ballistically inclined than the 30N and 300 PRC. In order of ballistics effectiveness, least to most, the factory data supports - Ill share some factory data to ensure as close to apples to apples data as I can (data is highest non-compressed load that still fit in the standard box with 26" hunting bbls). Handloads will have an even bigger spread.
  1. 300 Win Mag with 220 grain bullet and 76 grains H1000 = 2677 fps
  2. 300 PRC with 220 grain bullet and 78 grains H1000 = 2810 fps
  3. 30 Nos with 220 grain bullet and 80 grains Retumbo = 2960
  4. 300 Norma with a 220 grain bullet and 83 grains Retumbo = 3020
I do not put the RUM or the 30/378 in the mix due to they were never really designed to shoot the super long high BC bullets. They cannot use their full case capacity and still fit in the standard box. To do it, they are single shot rifles.

Shooting paper the 280 fps between the 30N and 300 WM doesnt matter. Maybe 3 or 4 10ths at 500 yards. Its when you think about a critter and terminal ballistics out past 800 where the WM loses.
I love the WM, truly. But it is 50+ year old chamber design (designed in 1963) and it shows its age in this group

Last edited:
Calvin45,
What barrel length and what mag length repeater?
I run extended Wyatt boxes in my Rem 700's, so I can seat out as far as I like.
A 50fps difference is nothing. I can change velocity by 50 FPS just by switching barrels from a 28" to 30".
Still stand by my statement, there is not ENOUGH of a difference to sway me from the WM to either of the above...now going to a RUM or Norma is an entirely different scenario and I have just done that by getting a 300RUM.
I don't look into HYPE by ammo makers to decide on a cartridge.

Cheers.

This factory data you quote is from what source?
2687fps from a 300WM? What barrel length? As I said, barrel length makes a huge difference and most, if not all, factory specs are in 24" barrels.
Another thing, case design has very LITTLE to do with speed, it is HYPE to sell cartridges which you obviously have bought into.

Cheers.

This factory data you quote is from what source?
2687fps from a 300WM? What barrel length? As I said, barrel length makes a huge difference and most, if not all, factory specs are in 24" barrels.
Another thing, case design has very LITTLE to do with speed, it is HYPE to sell cartridges which you obviously have bought into.

Cheers.
You have your opinion and that is fine - as stated, the data comes from factory website sources with 26" bbls. I am very comfortable in the published data, as well as my own. You have an exceptional 300 WIn Mag that shoots faster than any I have heard of. Congrats!

Calvin45,
What barrel length and what mag length repeater?
I run extended Wyatt boxes in my Rem 700's, so I can seat out as far as I like.
A 50fps difference is nothing. I can change velocity by 50 FPS just by switching barrels from a 28" to 30".
Still stand by my statement, there is not ENOUGH of a difference to sway me from the WM to either of the above...now going to a RUM or Norma is an entirely different scenario and I have just done that by getting a 300RUM.
I don't look into HYPE by ammo makers to decide on a cartridge.

Cheers.
24 inch, 26 if you include the brake. Savage 111 long range hunter, no mods, no aftermarket anything. Standard.

to me the 300 win just makes the most sense for my all purpose all range all game easy to get along with cartridge. Nothing wrong with the others, I do smell some hype surrounding them BUT as the saying goes there's no replacement for displacement. The .30 Nosler is effectively a standard length 300 wby. I wouldn't say there's no difference. I would agree there isn't enough difference for me to care

Last edited:
You have your opinion and that is fine - as stated, the data comes from factory website sources with 26" bbls. I am very comfortable in the published data, as well as my own. You have an exceptional 300 WIn Mag that shoots faster than any I have heard of. Congrats!
You still haven't said your source.
There are so many sources that it could be from anywhere.
My standard length Sendero gets just shy of 3000fps with 215's, so your data is soft as far as I can tell.
Nosler data is pretty much spot on in 26" barrels. Just FYI.

Cheers.

You still haven't said your source.
There are so many sources that it could be from anywhere.
My standard length Sendero gets just shy of 3000fps with 215's, so your data is soft as far as I can tell.
Nosler data is pretty much spot on in 26" barrels. Just FYI.

Cheers.
Glad you said Nosler, cause that is where the 300 WM with 220 grain bullet data came from. Look it up, significantly short of 3100 fps and your 28 or 30 " barrel wouldn't get you there anyway. Perhaps YOU can educate me how you get 433 fps faster with the same case and a 230 grain bullet
Not interested in continuing a never ending discussion. You have your data, I have mine.
Enjoy your night

Last edited: