300 PRC Too Much For Deer?

Kyle Backenstoes

I've been throwing around the idea of building another rifle for hunting game within 1000 yards. Average being 3-600 yards. Would like to be able to use the rifle for deer sized game, but also elk sized game if i ever make it out west. Would a 300PRC be to much gun for whitetail sized game? Or should i stick with a smaller caliber such as a 6.5PRC?

Yep...gotta listen to a guy named himself 'BoomFlop'....
Why have something that you are figuring will only do service once in your time of use.....
Whitetail need nothing that big to put them down....
For that matter...depending upon how you hunt and shot range 65 will do nicely to pack and take elk.....

Didn't read it like once in a lifetime, if I ever make it out west is something I can throw around. Do I plan on it next year? Yep! Am I gonna be let down again like this year? 50/50 chance on that.

I use my Sendero 300WM on deer especially when sitting monster fields and chance at larger bucks at distance. Still use same elk load of 200AB @2950 fps. Deer don't seem to mind being hit with bigger bullet that I can see. Never felt recoil at game so the recoil discussion never held water for me. Do I shoot it for grins? Nope, shoot my 51 year old rebarreled .270 that is fun to shoot or .243. Killed about 140+ class buck this year at 270 yards with the 300WM. Deer went 70 yards which is no different than 6.5, .270, 30-06, .308 etc. So my answer would be get the 300PRC knowing what it is and use it for whatever you want. Like I said, never felt recoil shooting game. I am pretty certain that is true for 99.99% of shooters here as well. This may open up avenues for "lighter" calibers for shooting grins which I can't find any fault in that logic.

[QUOTE="Muddyboots, post: 1778955, member: 63925" Like I said, never felt recoil shooting game. I am pretty certain that is true for 99.99% of shooters here as well. This may open up avenues for "lighter" calibers for shooting grins which I can't find any fault in that logic.[/QUOTE]

Muddyboots, I agree with you 1000%, I have never ever felt recoil when shooting at an animal. When the recticle is properly set on that animal and you are about to pull that trigger, recoil is the last thing in your mind.

I have thinking this one over also. I'm trying to decide between 65 and 300 prc. I already have a 270 for deer and a 300 ultra for elk, but am thinking about shooting long range for fun.

Agree about never feeling the recoil on game.