BoatTail

I would like some thoughts of The Forum on this. I'm getting ready to do a new 30 caliber Magnum rifle build. I was looking at a 30 Nosler , 30- 28 Nosler Wildcat , the 300 PRC and the 300 PRC Sherman improved . Because I thought none of them could reach the 3150 feet per second I was looking for out of 212 - 215 grain bullets, I jumped up to the 300 Remington Ultra Mag an ordered a long throated Reimer from PTG. Looking closer at the 300 PRC Sherman improved load data shows velocities of 3190 and 3200 + fps that seems to beat the 30 - 28 Nosler and rival the 300 Remington Ultra Mag. What are your guys's thoughts . Please help me understand if I'm wrong on this. I'd like a healthy discussion on this as once I build a rifle, I'll be stuck with that cartridge until I sell it or wear out the barrel. The build is on a Remington 700 action with a 28 in proof research carbon fiber Barrel I believe the twist rate is 1 + 9 or could be one an 8.5 I'll have to look.

Last edited:
I've been in the same boat as you for a few months& my decision was finally made for the sherm improved prc...mainly b/c of all the extra brass work that goes into any of the Wildcats and the ultra mag needs an action fitting the lapua bolt head size to really make it correctly feed. The 300 PRC- sherm imp. Can shoot factory box ammo in a pinch - accurately- and I can use a standard rem 700 long action for my build. The one problem I still have with the 300prc sherm imp. is the only brass manufacturer so far is hornady ,but hopefully that will change in the near future. The reloading die issue is not too much of a worry for the 300prc sherm imp ...for the other Wildcats I'm not sure at all what route I would take b/c I don't really like the whidden dies at all...

Do you have any OAL limitations? A long throated 300 RUM should give you some pretty impressive numbers, but you'll need to have room to load the bullets long to really take advantage of it.

I doubt there's enough of a performance difference between the 30 Nosler, 30/28 Nosler, 300 PRC or the Sherman Improved to make any real difference. Pick your brand loyalty and you're good to go.

The 300 rum is an overbore cartridge that's a real barrel burner. And like I mentioned, the 300prc s.i. can run factory ammo. The 30 nos I'd need a new reamer made with more freebore to really get full velocity potential. And of course the 28-30 I'd need a reamer made and then re- sizing brass& all that goes with that,turning necks etc. The 300prc s.i. I can order up the dies from Rich S. and rent a reamer and I'm ready to go. That was the reason I decided on it I suppose, was the ease of getting the build finished and shooting and the amount of work that would go into getting ammo loaded& downrange was minimal. Or I could just do my barrel break in with factory loads and start reloading my fired cases for load development.

Do you have any OAL limitations? A long throated 300 RUM should give you some pretty impressive numbers, but you'll need to have room to load the bullets long to really take advantage of it.

I doubt there's enough of a performance difference between the 30 Nosler, 30/28 Nosler, 300 PRC or the Sherman Improved to make any real difference. Pick your brand loyalty and you're good to go.

I purchased a Wyatt Extended Well Box - Remington 700 (LA) Oberndorf BDL with Extended Well (3.825 in) and was going to have the gunsmith open up the bottom like I've done before with a 270 WSM. Interesting though if I went with the 300 PRC Sherman improved or as I've learned it's called the 300 Sherman Magnum I may not have to use the extended well.

The 300 rum is an overbore cartridge that's a real barrel burner. And like I mentioned, the 300prc s.i. can run factory ammo. The 30 nos I'd need a new reamer made with more freebore to really get full velocity potential. And of course the 28-30 I'd need a reamer made and then re- sizing brass& all that goes with that,turning necks etc. The 300prc s.i. I can order up the dies from Rich S. and rent a reamer and I'm ready to go. That was the reason I decided on it I suppose, was the ease of getting the build finished and shooting and the amount of work that would go into getting ammo loaded& downrange was minimal. Or I could just do my barrel break in with factory loads and start reloading my fired cases for load development.
Before I started down the 300 Ultra Mag path I had ptg work with me on a 30 - 28 Nosler Reimer design with a long throat. I also converted 200, 300 Remington Ultra Mag cases to 30 - 28 Nosler size using my Hornady reforming dies that I bought for my 28 Nosler. The last steps are annealing and turning the necks. If I don't use them for the 30-28 I can easily convert them to 28 Nosler.

If I didn't already have a 300 RUM, I'd be looking really hard at Rich's 30 Sherman Magnum. Results are looking very promising! I have a 6.5 Sherman and it's definitely one of my favorite rounds.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with a 300 RUM either. There's a good number of factory ammo options and brass manufacturers as well.

What is the capacity of the 300 prc, 300 Sherman magnum, and the 30 nosler? I know the 30 nosler has more capacity than the 300 prc. Which would put the 300 SM close to the 30 nosler. Curious how the 300 SM is getting 3200 FPS with a 215, when the 30 nosler is around 3100 FPS with a 215 if capacity is within a grain of 2?

Before I started down the 300 Ultra Mag path I had ptg work with me on a 30 - 28 Nosler Reimer design with a long throat. I also converted 200, 300 Remington Ultra Mag cases to 30 - 28 Nosler size using my Hornady reforming dies that I bought for my 28 Nosler. The last steps are annealing and turning the necks. If I don't use them for the 30-28 I can easily convert them to 28 Nosler.
What is the capacity of the 300 prc, 300 Sherman magnum, and the 30 nosler? I know the 30 nosler has more capacity than the 300 prc. Which would put the 300 SM close to the 30 nosler. Curious how the 300 SM is getting 3200 FPS with a 215, when the 30 nosler is around 3100 FPS with a 215 if capacity is within a grain of 2?
with RL33 or N570 in a 28" barrel

And of course the 28-30 I'd need a reamer made and then re- sizing brass& all that goes with that,turning necks etc
What makes you think you "need" to turn necks with a 30-28? You order the reamer the way you want that determines if you need or want to turn.
Mine is a .344 neck and ADG loaded round is .339 necked up 28 Nosler brass.

with RL33 or N570 in a 28" barrel

I guess my question is if comparing apples to apples, both with 28" barrel, N570, etc aren't the 30 Nos and 300 SM going to be basically the same since capacity is so close?

I mean the PRC case is so close to being improved already I doubt you are gaining more than a couple grains capacity. In fact I think I read from one of your posts there was a 2 grain difference.

h2o-png.120015

Pulled this from another thread on here. Seams to me the 30 Nos and the 300 SM would be really close velocity wise.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.