300 PRC Redding Seater and Concentricity help

MCOBB2

Anyone have any issues with bullet seating with a Redding Deluxe Die Set for 300 PRC? I started to reload for mine and it is not setting the bullet square into the case. I am seating 215 Berger Hybrids and to the same depth as factory Precision hunters were (CBTO) and the Berger's are off enough that the transition from bullet bearing surface to Ogive is scuffing and the bolt will not close. I know someone is going to ask what my CBTO is and I don't have my reloading notebook in front of me so I'm not sure but I DO know I'm at least .01" off the lands right now and it still will not let the bolt lock. Thanks in advance.

One trick a guy taught me is to get the bullet started seating [ less than half the full seating depth] then lower case, rotate case 180 degrees, and then finish seating. Gavintoobe on YouTube also had a video that showed it decreased runout.

Do you have a concentricity tool? What was runout?

It's not your die, it's your length. Load the Bergers .020 off the lands and you should be fine. It would have to look like a hockey stick to not close the bolt. The Bergers are significantly different than the eldx.

So I was just over to the house and read that so went down and loaded one up just that way and it was absolutely better and went to chamber it and it still is a little off but it would center it back (not the correct way of course). Unfortunately, I do not have a concentricity tool. I have a buddy I'm hoping can check it on his. I thought at first I had just messed up on measuring to the lands but I double checked that twice. And the scuff marks are ONLY on the one side of the bullet so it cant be jamming them into the lands I wouldn't assume.

I forgot to mention that when I first set it up on my Rock Chucker press I didn't really care for the seating plug height. It was only in a few threads so I called Redding and got a #20 seating plug instead of the factory #19 which is not as long so I was hoping maybe the plug would center the bullet a little better. I did order the Competition seater and VLD stem too but that won't be here for a few weeks so I was hoping to try to start working on a ladder test to find my node while I waited.

It's not your die, it's your length. Load the Bergers .020 off the lands and you should be fine. It would have to look like a hockey stick to not close the bolt. The Bergers are significantly different than the eldx.
65F8FA3E-58DB-4D1B-82DB-A346B6A43219.jpeg
I will try it.

Are you using virgin brass? If you are using fired brass you probably didn't bump the shoulder enough to close the bolt. Bump the shoulder .002
I am not. These are once fired and neck sized Hornady brass. After sizing, prepped, tumbled, primed i chamber them and they go perfect.

fwiw the gun is a Bergara Premier Approach.

I am not. These are once fired and neck sized Hornady brass. After sizing, prepped, tumbled, primed i chamber them and they go perfect.

fwiw the gun is a Bergara Premier Approach.
I am not a fan of neck sizing hunting loads. But to each their own. I would definitely buy the hornady modified case and OAL tool. It will help you a lot.

I am not a fan of neck sizing hunting loads. But to each their own. I would definitely buy the hornady modified case and OAL tool. It will help you a lot.
I did bite that bullet (no pun intended) and measured it that's why I'm leaning towards an off bullet. I'm all for learning so if a case is feeding and closing correctly especially on a steeper shoulder/minimal body taper how come you are not for neck sizing?

I did bite that bullet (no pun intended) and measured it that's why I'm leaning towards an off bullet. I'm all for learning so if a case is feeding and closing correctly especially on a steeper shoulder/minimal body taper how come you are not for neck sizing?
I don't neck size hunting loads because sometimes there might be moisture in the chamber or a dirty chamber. Which in turn could lead to a failure to extract due to overpressure or a failure to chamber if there is moisture in the chamber. With the .002 bump it's a safe bet that it will chamber and expand and not go crazy with pressure.

I don't neck size hunting loads because sometimes there might be moisture in the chamber or a dirty chamber. Which in turn could lead to a failure to extract due to overpressure or a failure to chamber if there is moisture in the chamber. With the .002 bump it's a safe bet that it will chamber and expand and not go crazy with pressure.
Noted... never thought about that to be honest.

I did end up putting them on to check for concentricity and they were anywhere from 1 thousandth to 4-5 on some. Guess I'll wait for the new seater and see if that makes a difference. Thanks to all.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.