300 prc reamer

• Thread starter Deleted member 102985
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 102985

Hi, looking to put together a 300 prc for my son. Anyone have any suggestions on a reamer? It will be a 28" 8 twist carbon proof barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, looking to put together a 300 prc for my son. Anyone have any suggestions on a reamer? It will be a 28" 8 twist carbon proof barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
below is my reamer from JGS
200 th freebore.
sammi specs on brass.
with 200 th freebore its set up really nicely for the 215 Berger's or the 180 gr accubond.
the 215 was set up that with 25 thousanths off the lands that it would fit in a magazine with an OL of 3.7. Very nicely with 15 ths clip to bullet clearance.
the 180 gr accubond is even better set up for it.

JGS done a really nice job. As of now my rifle is sub 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch out to 700 yards.

Attachments

• DF6FCB19-9363-4455-AE9A-6F8C8000C64A.jpeg
    DF6FCB19-9363-4455-AE9A-6F8C8000C64A.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 591
Is 200 free bore good to run most of the heavies?
Most 200 ish grain bullets i think it will be fine. If you are wanting to go heavier im not sure. Best I can tell u is to figure out what u are wanting to shoot bullet wise. Know you overall clip space length and then call someone like JGS or Mason reamers a call and have a talk with them. I've only dealt with JGS and they are really good. Bartlein referred me to them.
if you are going to do a custom gun with a custom reamer give those people a call.
I will tell you this all my custom gun have custom reamers. what's a couple hundred bucks.
like I had a reamer guy tell me. Think if a brand new drill bit vs one that starting to get wore a bit. The new one most of the time is going to cut very clean with clean edges.

I think I've seen .230-.240 freebore for the 225-230s. Somebody else will likely add to this, their experience in freebore for the 230-245s. My about info is based on what I've read not personal experience. I too will be building a 300 PRC and will be exactly where you are eventually. I'll be building for the 212-230s.

That's the exact range of bullets I'm looking to shoot. I've also heard about the Barnes bore riders? I'm a Barnes fan for hunting bullets for sure. But I do not know much about the bore riders.

I want to say the Sami spec reamer is around .238 ish freebore is Sammi spec.

i Went with 200 freebore and I can shoot 200 grain accubond really nice and fit into a 3.7 clip really nice. My jump to the lands with 200 th freebore is minimal.
if all you are going to shoot is the super heavies then probably Sammi reamer is what u should get.
but again I'd take 30 min and give JGS a call and just have a talk. May help you may not.
there will be plenty of people on here tell you what they got reamer wise And what bullets they use.

Think if a brand new drill bit vs one that starting to get wore a bit.
Excellent point, especially with tight-tolerance chambers.
The PRC's have tight tolerance (they're "precision" cartridges, right?)
Throat is .3088 on the .300 PRC
It's .310 on the .308 Win. Less than half the clearance.
A worn PRC reamer, could cut a throat that's too tight and cause problems much quicker than the Win.

Check into the drawings @Alex Wheeler put up a while ago for the PRC cartridges. I believe they had a little more clearance on the .200 mark to avoid sizing issues.
I've read where some people have had die issues for the 6.5 prc and resizing brass but not on the 300 prc. I'm unfamiliar with that problem With there dies.
With the 300 prc dies ive not had no issues and I've resized approx 180 pieces of brass.

Does anyone on here have a 300 PRC Reamer with AW2 specs? Building my first rifle and want to do it right the first time! Don't wanna have a click issue. Please feel free to drop me a PM or text/call me. 307-660-8180.