300 PRC or 300 RUM

Another benefit of the PRC over the RUM is that the PRC is a non-belted case. Unless your using max powder charges and getting lots of pressure signs, brass life should be better than the RUM.

I've got a couple 7s and smaller but am wanting a 30. Gonna be a long range elk gun and want to be push 210s-220s at over 3000 in a factory rifle. I'd shoot the heavier bullets if I could push them to 3000fps. Which one would you choose? Let me know your thoughts. Leaning towards a Bergara or browning but want to keep weight to a minimum. What $1200 rifle would you choose?
I don't think you're going to push the heavies that fast with the PRC.

The only problem I have with my Rum's is I own way too many of them. :D

Another benefit of the PRC over the RUM is that the PRC is a non-belted case. Unless your using max powder charges and getting lots of pressure signs, brass life should be better than the RUM.
Can you point out the belt on the Rum case for me?

1581733834014.png

There isn't one but even if there was there's absolutely nothing wrong with belted magnums, it's just hype and BS to promote non belted magnums.

Yep, my bad...no excuses here! I like all the 300's, just happen to be smitten with the PRC because it is the newest toy on the box! 😎🤙

There is nothing fabulous about 3001 fps vs 2999

It just doesn't matter. Pick the gun you like, owned both I'd take a browning over a bergara.

Personally, of the 30 mags I picked the PRC for my newest/next.

That's funny. 3360 fps is exactly what I chronoed my 180 and 185's at ! I shot some 150' I loaded for heck of it and they shot 3630 fps. Factory 26 in. Barrel at the time.
( : Hope your 460 S&W barrel is coming along. Haven't got my MGM barrel yet ):

The rifle is finished. Now all I have to do is go to the range and test it. (SOON).

J E CUSTOM

I like the option that HIGH VOLTAGE mentioned. I have a 300 RUM that has been tough on both elk and moose. Mine is on a old 700 action with a 26" Lilja barrel. I was always using 180 Trophy Bonded bullets and had no issues at 3150, as best I can remember.
To do what might work for you, I might even consider a Savage action, if the mag well would work. A good remage barrel and if you know someone who has, or a person who would loan you a set of gages, it could be a decent package. fwiw.
if you go the rem action, I MAY have a wood stock (take off) that I can help you with your needs. Good luck.

Without going too far off topic let me pick your brain.... .

I have thought for a long time that the .460 S&W would be an ideal cartridge for someone to build a lever gun around.

Any thoughts?

I think it would be a good round for a leaver gun.
I have built a bolt rifle for the 460 and it was difficult. so I decided to build one on an Encore and that was easy. the only thing left would be a leaver gun and Big Horn already has them. their rifles are very nice and should shoot very good. Plus it is a repeater.

J E CUSTOM

The rifle is finished. Now all I have to do is go to the range and test it. (SOON).

J E CUSTOM
That's awesome ! I want to hear about it. Especially the brake you use. I going to go with threaded 27 in.. the brake I'll wait to hear about From you.
Oh yeah, 300 Rum for me :)

Last edited:
I have built a bolt rifle for the 460 and it was difficult. so I decided to build one on an Encore and that was easy. the only thing left would be a leaver gun and Big Horn already has them. their rifles are very nice and should shoot very good. Plus it is a repeater.

J E CUSTOM
Thanks, I wasn't aware anyone was building the 460 in a Lever Action.

J E CUSTOM
I haven't heard of Bighorn rifles but I have thought the same thing as WildRose but knew pressures would dictate a heavy duty receiver . I'll check them out. Thanks for the info !