300 PRC or 300 RUM

I'd suggest you look at a 30 nosler and add the freebore to make the cartridge perform. The interesting part of the discussion that isn't being discussed is "where will it be accurate"? Yes the case has the capacity to move the bullets at ..... speed. While there aren't any definite answers, you will see tendencies. Like a 215 Berger in a 300 wm tends to have an accuracy node of 2850-2900. The 30 nosler tends to have a node of 3050-3100.
I'm a big rum fan as well. Like Hornady bullets, don't care much for their brass. Adg makes great brass, but is awful proud ($$$$$) of it.

From my limited experience, you won't get what you want with the browning. I had their "max long range" And about the max Is few comfortable shooting an elk was about 250 yards. Maybe, on a good day!

I've got a couple 7s and smaller but am wanting a 30. Gonna be a long range elk gun and want to be push 210s-220s at over 3000 in a factory rifle. I'd shoot the heavier bullets if I could push them to 3000fps. Which one would you choose? Let me know your thoughts. Leaning towards a Bergara or browning but want to keep weight to a minimum. What $1200 rifle would you choose?
300rum

I'm gonna get some loaded up here soon with the brass and dies I got from ya. Who did your Norma improves for you? That's what I really want but I'll be getting this gun as a bonus from the boss.
Ryan Pierce built my 300 norma improved rifle. It's a hammer. Hopefully the action can be opened up for a cfe9 4" mag box and you can run some freebore to get bullets seated out. It's pretty much king of the 30 cals aside from the 30/378 bee and 300 terminator.

I have a 300 PRC in a Christensen Arms Traverse that shoots lights out with both the 199 Grain Hammers at 3053 fps and the 214 Grain Hammers but both are half MOA. Not sure of the Velocity on the 214 yet but both shoot 1/2 MOA out to 600 so far. Unfortunately your not going to get a traverse for $1200.00 but you could get a MESA. I have one of those also in a 6.5 PRC and its a shooter as well. the ridgeline might be a little light for the larger caliber to be a bench shooter but it would be a great mountain rifle for chasing elk.

Last edited:
You are in Washington and you want .30 cal. that will preform. You won't do it for $1200 but look at the 300 RBH by Rbros. It is amazing I'm getting 3170 fps (node) with 230 grain Berger's and it's a mild load there's another node higher still not over pressure.

I've got a couple 7s and smaller but am wanting a 30. Gonna be a long range elk gun and want to be push 210s-220s at over 3000 in a factory rifle. I'd shoot the heavier bullets if I could push them to 3000fps. Which one would you choose? Let me know your thoughts. Leaning towards a Bergara or browning but want to keep weight to a minimum. What $1200 rifle would you choose?

The RUM will have a 100 to 200 ft/sec advantage over the 30 Nosler with the heavy bullets giving you an added flexibility to find the best accuracy. The 30 Nosler will push a 180 grain at 3230 ft/sec
and a 200 grain to 3080 ft/sec. the 300 rum will move a 180 grain bullet at 3360 ft/sec and a 200 to 3190 ft/sec at listed max loading for both the 30 Nosler and the RUM.

So the choice is really yours.

J E CUSTOM

I've heard some Christensen stories too. But there is another long range form where they get excellent reviews so....

My 300 RUM is a Remington with a 28" barrel. I like the 210s. Rifle has taken an antelope at 865 yards and elk at 512. Both dropped in their tracks - one shot kills. Bergers can be very accurate and if you can put it in the right place it will do the job.
300 PRC is probably an excellent round too. ADG makes brass for it now.
I have a Rem. with a new 28 in. Bartlien barrel just put on. Haven't shot it yet. Got it trued , bigger recoil lug, etc.. I never shot bigger than Berger 190 out of factory barrel. Was pushing Berger 185 at 3360 fps . 26 in barrel. With Retumbo. I have RL26, N570, RL33 also to try with Berger 210 215 and 230 and also Hammer 181. It's a 1 in 10 5R twist. What powders are you using ? I also have 50 ADG and 100 GunWerks new brass to use.
To the OP, go with the big boy.

The RUM will have a 100 to 200 ft/sec advantage over the 30 Nosler with the heavy bullets giving you an added flexibility to find the best accuracy. The 30 Nosler will push a 180 grain at 3230 ft/sec
and a 200 grain to 3080 ft/sec. the 300 rum will move a 180 grain bullet at 3360 ft/sec and a 200 to 3190 ft/sec at listed max loading for both the 30 Nosler and the RUM.

So the choice is really yours.

J E CUSTOM
That's funny. 3360 fps is exactly what I chronoed my 180 and 185's at ! I shot some 150' I loaded for heck of it and they shot 3630 fps. Factory 26 in. Barrel at the time.
( : Hope your 460 S&W barrel is coming along. Haven't got my MGM barrel yet ):

I have BOTH and the PRC is much more enjoyable to shoot and cost 30-40% less to operate. Do you want to watch your shots impact on target or be fumbling to get back on target to see your impact? The RUM is a great round and can be loaded to push higher velocities than the PRC. Higher velocities do not equal better accuracy. Also, the RUM has been around for decades and the round/load availability it is greater than the PRC. By the time you figure out which load your going to use, your going to have to replace your barrel. Only downside to the PRC at the moment is that
Hornady is the only company mass producing ammo for this cartridge. At $35 a box it is a no brainer considering the accuracy that these rounds provide. Whatever arena your using your rifle for (hunting or PRS), your going to get SUB-MOA from the beginning with Hornady's offerings.

Both of these cartridges have there Pro's & Con's but the PRC is more efficient across the board. Easy choice, PRC