300 PRC or 300 RUM

I have a Rem. with a new 28 in. Bartlien barrel just put on. Haven't shot it yet. Got it trued , bigger recoil lug, etc.. I never shot bigger than Berger 190 out of factory barrel. Was pushing Berger 185 at 3360 fps . 26 in barrel. With Retumbo. I have RL26, N570, RL33 also to try with Berger 210 215 and 230 and also Hammer 181. It's a 1 in 10 5R twist. What powders are you using ? I also have 50 ADG and 100 GunWerks new brass to use.
To the OP, go with the big boy.

That should be a shooter.
I settled on H1000 with the Berger 210. H1000. Just seemed more accurate than Retumbo. Plus, H1000 should extend barrel life as it burns cooler. I used to run the 200 Gr Accubond right at 3200 with Retumbo though. That load shot well too. Just got too hard to find 200 Accubonds for a while. Would like to see how RL26 works someday. Don't think I've seen any load data for it though.

Your strongest link is only as good as your weakest link, if your going to do this...do it right and start strong with a shooting platform that will support what you are trying to accomplish. Mass Produced rifles have there place in this world but your going to be disappointed with a Browning, Ruger, Savage, Remington, etc. These companies use decent components but your going to have to have a gunsmith bed the action/barrel, adjust or replace the trigger, modify or replace the stock, thread the barrel, etc. This all adds up and the amount of time and energy to get all of this accomplished could be saved by purchasing a "custom" from Fierce, CA, Cooper, Hells Canyon Armory, etc. like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for and when you start modifying a rifle because it lacks what I've previously mentioned it does not always guarantee the results your wanting to achieve.

My 300 RUM is a Montana Rifle Company X2 that I've had bedded and developed a load that it likes and shoots .5 MOA. Gun, Scope weighs roughly 10lbs

My 300 PRC is a Fierce CT Edge that shoots Hornady factory ammo .5 MOA. Gun, Scope weighs 8lbs.

Both have muzzle breaks and 50mm objective optics....the RUM kicks like a 30-06, the PRC kicks like a 6.5 Creedmore.

Find someone who has these calibers and shoot them....find what you like and then go buy which ever caliber you enjoyed shooting most. There is enough info in this thread to get an idea of how to move forward with your build. Opinions are based on experience and since you don't have experience with either of these calibers, go and form your own with what has been provided here!

GOOD LUCK!

A 220 at over 3000 fps, will the 300 PRC do that? I think the RUM requires longer barrels and OALs to even do that.

The Remington 700 Long Range models are available in 300 RUM and tend to shoot pretty darn good for what they cost. Not the sexy option, but...

That should be a shooter.
I settled on H1000 with the Berger 210. H1000. Just seemed more accurate than Retumbo. Plus, H1000 should extend barrel life as it burns cooler. I used to run the 200 Gr Accubond right at 3200 with Retumbo though. That load shot well too. Just got too hard to find 200 Accubonds for a while. Would like to see how RL26 works someday. Don't think I've seen any load data for it though.
Thanks . I tried H1000 awhile back. It was very accurate but was 150 fps slower at max and Retumbo was just as accurate . Like H1000 in my 300 win mag. 180 Accubonds shot good in my old barrel. Never tried 200

The RUM case is spectacular and does give you a little more flexibility in loads and components. If want a little better barrel life and a true thumper at distance get the .338 RUM and never look back. I have found it to be very easy to load for and actually easier to shoot than the 300 version. There is a great selection of bullets, better powder combinations, and dang is it cool.

I've got a couple 7s and smaller but am wanting a 30. Gonna be a long range elk gun and want to be push 210s-220s at over 3000 in a factory rifle. I'd shoot the heavier bullets if I could push them to 3000fps. Which one would you choose? Let me know your thoughts. Leaning towards a Bergara or browning but want to keep weight to a minimum. What $1200 rifle would you choose?
.300 Weatherby Vanguard with a 26 inch barrel. Sub-moa garannteed
I've got a couple 7s and smaller but am wanting a 30. Gonna be a long range elk gun and want to be push 210s-220s at over 3000 in a factory rifle. I'd shoot the heavier bullets if I could push them to 3000fps. Which one would you choose? Let me know your thoughts. Leaning towards a Bergara or browning but want to keep weight to a minimum. What $1200 rifle would you choose?
300 weatherby

Ryan Pierce built my 300 norma improved rifle. It's a hammer. Hopefully the action can be opened up for a cfe9 4" mag box and you can run some freebore to get bullets seated out. It's pretty much king of the 30 cals aside from the 30/378 bee and 300 terminator.
That's who I figured did it. Maybe I can get my boss to get me a kelby and have Ryan build me one. I do like the 30/378 but sounds like the Norma is real accurate

One could make the argument that the 300 Norma is too large for a Remington 700 sized tennon. The RUM is 0.550" v 0.585" of the Norma. On a Remington action or clone, for me the RUM would win out for that reason alone.

I have a 300 RUM.

Factory barrel was 26" long and was typically MOA, but not always. Factory barrel would do 3300 fps with the Nosler 190 ABLR. Berger 230's were just under 3000 fps. Factory throat was about 1/2" long.

Gun got reworked with a 27" Krieger 5R barrel. Setup to use a a Wyatt's extended box on a Rem 700. Freebore is 0.098" with a 0.343" neck chamber diameter.

Berger 210 VLDH's at 3149 fps at 1/2 MOA or better is typical, with some groups going under 0.4 MOA. It will also shoot the Hornady 212 ELDX at 3174 fps accurately too.

Not sure why the 300 RUM isn't more popular. Load work up was quick as it didn't take a lot of work to develop two loads.

The RUM probably is more popular than the other big 300 flavors of the month. It's just not new.

If Lapua made RUM brass... plenty of good brass none the less.