300 PRC or 30 Sherman mag

Send it 284

looking to pick up a barrel in 300 prc to launch the 245 Bergers. With Lapua brass on the way I'm not considering any other parent case.
I shoot elk out to 1000 yards and if I send a 245 at 2800 +, the ballistics will beat out any other bullet I'd consider hunting with.

I'm hoping to achieve that velocity with H1000 or Retumbo, from a 24" barrel running a 7"can.
Is the PRC up to it or is there a big enough gain to justify the hassle of going to a 30 SM?

Don't see any hassle going to the 30 SM, the 300 PRC is just a detuned 30 SM so why not let it run where it should.
By hassle I mean sourcing a reamer, fire forming, and buying expensive Hornady dies.
What sort of velocity increase is typical over the prc?

The sherman definitely will give greater performance. As someone who is frugal, I'd at least add up the cost of each before making a decision. Depending on the price, it may not be worth it for me personally.

Sorry, this is going to be slightly off topic from the OP's question but I think it is a factor when looking at these 2 cartridges, as I am, and something I would like to know. I know the 30 SM can shoot factory 300 PRC ammo but I've not seen anyone post results from doing so.

If I have a 300 PRC rifle that can shoot .5 MOA all day with Hornady Match 225 eld-M ammo. And a 30 SM that can shoot .5, or better, with reloads using a 225 eld-M bullet. What can I expect the factory Hornady Match ammo to shoot in my 30 SM? Am I likely still looking at .5 or does my .5 gun shoot that Match ammo at 1.0 due to the give in the chamber? I think the same question could be, or likely has been, asked of any "Improved" cartridge that can shoot the improved version in addition to the parent. For me, I doubt I will shoot factory ammo much, if ever should I go the 30 SM route but would like to know just in case a need should arise.

Sorry, this is going to be slightly off topic from the OP's question but I think it is a factor when looking at these 2 cartridges, as I am, and something I would like to know. I know the 30 SM can shoot factory 300 PRC ammo but I've not seen anyone post results from doing so.

If I have a 300 PRC rifle that can shoot .5 MOA all day with Hornady Match 225 eld-M ammo. And a 30 SM that can shoot .5, or better, with reloads using a 225 eld-M bullet. What can I expect the factory Hornady Match ammo to shoot in my 30 SM? Am I likely still looking at .5 or does my .5 gun shoot that Match ammo at 1.0 due to the give in the chamber? I think the same question could be, or likely has been, asked of any "Improved" cartridge that can shoot the improved version in addition to the parent. For me, I doubt I will shoot factory ammo much, if ever should I go the 30 SM route but would like to know just in case a need should arise.
I've had people kill elk using factory 212 ELDX ammo.
Shelf ammo shoots amazingly well!

You have to get way out there, well past 1,000 yards for the 245 to catch up with the 230, and can almost make a similar case for the 215.
Not true
Run the numbers.
A 245 at 2800 has 200 more ft lbs and .5 minutes less drift in a 10 mph cross wind than a 215 at 3000 fps or a 230 at 2900.
Not a huge difference but its certainly there, plus the extra mass from a 245 should knock elk down with authority!

Not true
Run the numbers.
A 245 at 2800 has 200 more ft lbs and .5 minutes less drift in a 10 mph cross wind than a 215 at 3000 fps or a 230 at 2900.
Not a huge difference but its certainly there, plus the extra mass from a 245 should knock elk down with authority!
I agree with the wind drift and all else equal, mass wins on elk.
I run the 245 right at 3000' and its a hammer.

Not true
Run the numbers.
I lost more than 100fps with the 245 over the 230 in my RUM so it wasn't worth it for me, it has a lot more bearing surface.

By hassle I mean sourcing a reamer, fire forming, and buying expensive Hornady dies.
What sort of velocity increase is typical over the prc?
Finding a reamer is easy, if you take 5 minutes, message elkaholic right there and have him send one to your smith, or use one of the many smiths that already have one. Done.

The way they are headspaced, you can buy 100 pieces of brass and develope a load with fireforming rounds that will be sub half MOA, run like a standard PRC and use it for hunting if you wish, and if your rifle is built properly, finding a load shouldn't take too many rounds either. Then once your done with those fireforming rounds, just work up to a higher velocity node and your gtg. And one other thing, the 40° shoulder (on any cartridge) is great for reducing the need to trim, and if your a guy like me that hates to trim, that is nice. I only trimmed twice in 11 fireings for my .260 AI.

I don't really consider the cost of dies that much more, I usually spend $100-$150 on my dies for any rifle intended for long range, I want quality dies. If my ammo isn't put together well, then my $3000+ rifle really isn't much good. Which brings up the next point, if your spending at least $300 for a prefit barrel and doing your own installation, or much more than that if your building a full rifle, plus shelling out the money for Lapua brass, is another one time $100 or less purchase for dies a deal breaker?

These are just my thoughts on it, nothing wrong with going either way. With equal barrel lengths, I think the Sherman is getting 150 fps+ increase over the standard PRC. If you have very limited time, the strait PRC may be acceptable. If you want the most performance, the Sherman is the better option. No loosing option here imo.

Finding a reamer is easy, if you take 5 minutes, message elkaholic right there and have him send one to your smith, or use one of the many smiths that already have one. Done.

The way they are headspaced, you can buy 100 pieces of brass and develope a load with fireforming rounds that will be sub half MOA, run like a standard PRC and use it for hunting if you wish, and if your rifle is built properly, finding a load shouldn't take too many rounds either. Then once your done with those fireforming rounds, just work up to a higher velocity node and your gtg. And one other thing, the 40° shoulder (on any cartridge) is great for reducing the need to trim, and if your a guy like me that hates to trim, that is nice. I only trimmed twice in 11 fireings for my .260 AI.

I don't really consider the cost of dies that much more, I usually spend $100-$150 on my dies for any rifle intended for long range, I want quality dies. If my ammo isn't put together well, then my $3000+ rifle really isn't much good. Which brings up the next point, if your spending at least $300 for a prefit barrel and doing your own installation, or much more than that if your building a full rifle, plus shelling out the money for Lapua brass, is another one time $100 or less purchase for dies a deal breaker?

These are just my thoughts on it, nothing wrong with going either way. With equal barrel lengths, I think the Sherman is getting 150 fps+ increase over the standard PRC. If you have very limited time, the strait PRC may be acceptable. If you want the most performance, the Sherman is the better option. No loosing option here imo.
150 fps would definitely be worth the hassle then.
I've fire formed in the past and its a drag, I'll probably go the Sherman route though to ensure I meet my velocity goals with the 245's.

Recent Posts