300 PRC or 30 Sherman mag

You could also have Shawn at DE do the +P throating on it and gain an additional ~100-150 fps
Do you just remove your headspaced barrel, and send it to Shawn, and he cuts the +P throat into the pre Chambered barrel?

I decided to just go with a 30 Nosler after doing more research.
Guys are easily getting the speeds Im after in 26" barrels with H1000, with reports of effortless tuning and accuracy.
Plus I discovered Peterson is now making brass for the 30 nos in addition to ADG.
Anyone tried the Peterson brass in their 30 Nos yet?

Guys are easily getting the speeds Im after in 26" barrels with H1000, with reports of effortless tuning and accuracy.
Plus I discovered Peterson is now making brass for the 30 nos in addition to ADG.
@rfurman24 Ryan Furman was selling some Peterson 30N brass, he has or had multiple 30N rifles so perhaps he's tried it.

It is on par with ADG quality and consistency wise but slightly less case capacity.

It is on par with ADG quality and consistency wise but slightly less case capacity.
Good to hear
Any issues with it being out of spec in anyway?
I've heard reports of Peterson brass being short on the shoulder length in some chamberings
Also do you recall the exact capacity?
Thanks

Good to hear
Any issues with it being out of spec in anyway?
I've heard reports of Peterson brass being short on the shoulder length in some chamberings
Also do you recall the exact capacity?
Thanks
My only concern with the peterson brass is they seem to be thicker necked than ADG, but similar thickness to Nosler. If you have a tight necked chamber like me, ADG is the way to go if you don't want neck turn.

I jumped on the 30 Nosler the second it was announced. I got a 30-28 reamer shortly after that. So I have built quite a few of them and have had very good luck with them. But I like all big 30s that don't have a belt! Anyhow, I see a lot of reports of "easily reaching" a certain velocity. Usually its the upper node and the max that case will handle. The 30 Nosler for example. 3000 fpr with a 215 is not a mild load, its full pressure. The guys running the 3080-3100 node are running them hot. Same for a 30-28, its only slightly bigger and that 3100 node is hot with H1000. We do it, but its not mild. In fact thats why I started building the 30-28s, to try to keep primer pockets in the Nosler brass longer. Barrels make a big difference, the 3100 node is hot enough that not all barrels will get there, some may pressure up sooner and you will only get to the 3000-3030 node which is no slouch. So far as ease of tuning, all the big 30s will be similar. Its also very difficult to know what a guy considers good accuracy and what he considers easy. Some one may get lucky on finding a load right away, the next guy may be happy with .5 moa on occasion, in my experience is you want consistent .25 moa they all take a little tuning. Thats not what most will tell you when trying to sell rifles, but its the truth.

Last edited:
I jumped on the 30 Nosler the second it was announced. I got a 30-28 reamer shortly after that. So I have built quite a few of them and have had very good luck with them. But I like all big 30s that don't have a belt! Anyhow, I see a lot of reports of "easily reaching" a certain velocity. Usually its the upper node and the max that case will handle. The 30 Nosler for example. 3000 fpr with a 215 is not a mild load, its full pressure. The guys running the 3080-3100 node are running them hot. Same for a 30-28, its only slightly bigger and that 3100 node is hot with H1000. We do it, but its not mild. In fact thats why I started building the 30-28s, to try to keep primer pockets in the Nosler brass longer. Barrels make a big difference, the 3100 node is hot enough that not all barrels will get there, some may pressure up sooner and you will only get to the 3000-3030 node which is no slouch. So far as ease of tuning, all the big 30s will be similar. Its also very difficult to know what a guy considers good accuracy and what he considers easy. Some one may get lucky on finding a load right away, the next guy may be happy with .5 moa on occasion, in my experience is you want consistent .25 moa they all take a little tuning. Thats not what most will tell you when trying to sell rifles, but its the truth.
Thanks for the detailed input.
I'm planning on going with an 8 twist Rock Creek barrel to run 245's, and the 212 lrx which require an 8.
If for some reason either of those two bullets didn't work out would you be leary of shooting 230 or 215 hybids from that fast of a twist?

I wonder if the 212 really needs an 8, and I know the 245 shoots in a 9, but no I would not worry about over twisting them. Even if it really does I would bet the freebore requirement will be very different as most bore rider bullets need much less. I have over twisted a lot of bullets and short of a BR rifle, you will not shoot the difference.

Thanks thats good to hear.
Yeah the 212's will have a ton of freebore but supposedly they're set up to shoot well that way..
We'll see I guess, Im not dead set on the lrx they're really just something I'd like to try out

Well, to give them a fair chance Id throat for that bullet. If they dont shoot then throat out for 215s. The tough thing about 30s is that the popular bullets have such a big difference in bearing surface that there is no good all around freebore. I have settled on .260 for most stuff, long enough for the 230 and 210vld, but a little bit long for 215s however they will jump a ways.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the bearing surface length on 245's and 230's?
If .260 is enough that the 245 isn't stuffed down too far I may just go with that

Recent Posts