300 PRC hunting build

depending on the quarry and altitude yes I will be

I figured since op asked how short is too short and I believe I have the shortest prc on this site my info would be almost useful. Perhaps I was wrong.
And he said he was looking to build a 1K elk hunting rifle. If you can hunt at 1K with yours, then it is not too short. Was just a question.

Which would you suggest? How about. 30 Nosler? Looks like specs call for a 3.34" coal, so the rem la 700 would have plenty room for the long Bullets. How short of a barrel on that?
What length barrel is your 300prc? What is your barrels performance? Coal,charge, primer, powder? Thank you.

I do not own one. IMO to run a big magnum that is specifically designed for long range shooting/hunting like the 300 PRC in a short barrel isn't worth it. For 24 in or shorter barrels I would stick with a short mag. Like I said just my opinion

You'll want a Mbe-3 or cfe12 mag box that allows 3.82" cartridge length. If you're suppressed I can understand the 21-22" barrels. But if no can I'd go no less than 24" personally. My 300wsm with a 23" benchmark will push 215 Bergers @ 2900 w/ 69gr rl26. Stepping from 78gr to 94gr case capacity I'd want a bigger jump in velocity than that.

Is that 2900 fps a pretty hot load ? That's great speed from the wsm actually.

And he said he was looking to build a 1K elk hunting rifle. If you can hunt at 1K with yours, then it is not too short. Was just a question.
Just do the math, 215gr Hybrid @2900fps at sea level lands at 1000yds with almost 1400ft lbs of energy... yeah, that's probably enough.

To the OP... I'd say 20-22" if you are planning on running a Suppressor, 22-26" if not; go with 22" if you are going to be hiking with it or carrying in brush. People like to get carried away with details that dont matter much beyond bench racing stats... in practical terms giving up 3-4" of barrel really only leaves about 150 fps on the table. That's not really that much when we are talking about real world situations... probably amounts to about 1-2% higher hit probability if you are uncertain on your wind calls and maybe adds 100yds to your absolute max effective range. If you are aiming for 1000 and in, it doesnt matter.

Question!!
What sence does it make to build a "Long Range" rifle with a "Short Barrel"?

Kind of defeats the purpose, dosen't it?
What do either of those two things have to do with the other?

I thought the whole longer = better myth had been busted ages ago.

Shorter barrels carry better, allow you to run a heavier/stiffer contour without a major weight penalty, and in practical terms with modern bullets and powders give up very little in outright performance when we are talking about big game hunting in the field... on the bench with all other variables controlled for? Maybe* a long barrel allows for slightly higher velocity which increases margin for error related to wind, but that's stretching it.

Just finished this 300 PRC. Defiance Deviant, Proof 1-9 26", McMillan Game Warden Adj, Triggertech Special, Sunnyhill BDL, MBE-3, Remington follower. Hornady brass neck turned, 76.5 H1000, 200gr Federal TLR .040 off @ 2921, CCI 250.
20200621_090715.jpg

Anything under 24" would not make sense for that round. I wouldn't do less than 26in. If you want short I would suggest another cartridge
Curious on your barrel recommendation. My 300 prc was built for backpacking. 22in barrel. . I know ya lose a little in speed but with the high bc bullets and weight I've lost nothing in accuracy. The only barrel that was a must was at least 28 on my 338 edge. So I'm curious where you're coming from

Question!!
What sence does it make to build a "Long Range" rifle with a "Short Barrel"?

Kind of defeats the purpose, dosen't it?
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you've never hunted in colorado, nevada, utah, idaho montana wyoming... were the mountains are steeper than a cows face and im sure as hell not packing a 30" 16 pound "lr" rifle on my my back for a week long or longer trip in country that makes most flat lander's say F that .. the point is to make a 1000 yard and under rifle that swings like a fine shotgun if you need it in the heavy timber and shoots like a heavy gun for those longer shots out to a thousand. and running a suppressor so your ears will thank you even more

What do either of those two things have to do with the other?

I thought the whole longer = better myth had been busted ages ago.

Shorter barrels carry better, allow you to run a heavier/stiffer contour without a major weight penalty, and in practical terms with modern bullets and powders give up very little in outright performance when we are talking about big game hunting in the field... on the bench with all other variables controlled for? Maybe* a long barrel allows for slightly higher velocity which increases margin for error related to wind, but that's stretching it.

That's a very good argument! But the majority, I believe woul also arguee for the longer barrel in a mathmaticle comparison. And yes, short is easier on the back.