300 PRC hunting build

wildwilderness

I've considered building a long range (1000 yd) elk rifle and the 300 PRC looks pretty good. I killed a bull at 792 yds with a 300 wsm but need to upgrade the setup.

Looking at the specs it needs a 3.7" magazine. Does a standard Rem 700 LA with factory Mag box work?

(I Will assemble the rifle myself so no machining for extended mags. Will use a Remage nut for the barrel.)

Also recommend barrel length? How short is too short? Will have a brake on it, and most likely a CarbonSix, unless you know a better deal with a Remage nut option?

You'll want a Mbe-3 or cfe12 mag box that allows 3.82" cartridge length. If you're suppressed I can understand the 21-22" barrels. But if no can I'd go no less than 24" personally. My 300wsm with a 23" benchmark will push 215 Bergers @ 2900 w/ 69gr rl26. Stepping from 78gr to 94gr case capacity I'd want a bigger jump in velocity than that.

I'm running a 230 berger in my 30 nosler at 2950 over H1k. Its about 2 grains from a compressed load with no pressure signs. Mine is a sami-spec chamber and is 3.593 coal to the lands with the 230.

Here's a pic of the 215 which has nearly the same coal.

This cartridge has been a pleasure to load for, I've ran 4 different bullets in 3 weights to 1.5 inches or better at 300 yards.

Screenshot_20200311-194631_Photos.jpg

I'd run a 26" carbon or Bartlein 3b, bugholes or carbon 6 both have good systems.

i have 2 300 prc's, both in manners stocks, one more of a hunting set up and the second is a LR tactical, PRS2 rig.

love the caliber, more forgiving than 300win, beauty round.

myload will not work in your gun so start low and build your own, stay safe.

if you want some starting points let me know what powder your plan to run and bullet and I'll give you conservative Starting points

good luck

I'd run a 26" carbon or Bartlein 3b, bugholes or carbon 6 both have good systems.

i have 2 300 prc's, both in manners stocks, one more of a hunting set up and the second is a LR tactical, PRS2 rig.

if you want some starting points let me know what powder your plan to run and bullet and I'll give you conservative Starting points

good luck

What do mean by more forgiving than the 300 win?

Jus curious

The 300prc has factory freebore of around 230k, which works great with 225-230 gr high BC bullets. The 30nosler saami reamer works well for 215 Bergers with their short bearing surface. My 30N has a freebore of 225. It works pretty dang well! I'm running 215s @ 3075 fps w/ rl26 through adg brass. 26" proof barrel.

good luck
I've been searching for a start load for the 245 Berger's with n570. Any suggestions?

Recent Posts