300 PRC Dual load results Berger/Hammer

There are a lot of long range bullets that take a little while to settle down. For example back in my old camp perry days, shootin 308 Winchester I had 175 grn match kings over Varget. My particular load would shoot approximately one or even one and a quarter MOA at 100 yards. But that very same load would be 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards. For targets that were under 400 yards I would run 155 Scenars and switch to the 175 farther out.
I pretty much have the same thing going with my 300 WinMag. I am only about 12 rounds into my new 300 PRC so we will see how that goes.
Is the bullet unstable at 100 yards, then gets stable at 1000?

NOT to Pop,.. the OP's "Bubble" on,.. "Dual Loads",.. BUT,..
I would bet, serious Money that, those 2 Bullets, WON'T BE within,.. 6 INCHES of each other at,.. 500 Yards !
Best to,.. Choose,.. ONE "good" Load and, get to,.. KNOW, IT !

Years ago, I Tested Noslers, 140 grain AccuBonds and 140 Grain, Ballistic Tips with, the exact SAME powder chge, Primers, Brass, etc. and found them to be OFF about, 3/4 of an inch from each other at, 100 yds and DOUBLE THAT at, 200, .. etc !
I soon,.. SCRAPPED that, Idea !

Years ago, I Tested Noslers, 140 grain AccuBonds and 140 Grain, Ballistic Tips with, the exact SAME powder chge, Primers, Brass, etc. and found them to be OFF about, 3/4 of an inch from each other at, 100 yds and DOUBLE THAT at, 200, .. etc !
I soon,.. SCRAPPED that, Idea !
That is how angular measurements work.

What twist? Looking to use 208 eldm and a hammer combo in a 300 win mag.

Did the same thing with 180 eldm and 177 hammer hunter in a 28 nosler. Hammer limit was 600, bull appeared at 602 and got the eldm.
8 twist Bartlein barrel.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering what your twist rate is.

Also, what neck bushing did you use? I'm trying to start reloading for my first time, and I'm overwhelmed at how many options there are to all of this.
.336 bushing using adg brass. I was using a .335 with only the Berger and Hornsby brass.

Last edited:
Well, cool idea, but if you want true long-range shooting in Africa you'll need a PH who is a true believer. Most of them work hard to keep stuff inside of 200 yards, maybe 300. They get real frustrated tracking wounded stuff all over the continent.

I wouldn't try to mess with anything fancy. Pick a bullet you like and don't use up too much headspace on trying to keep track of two different loads. I've only been there a few times, but keep it simple and just concentrate on making a clean shot. I've probably killed 50 animals there and I have yet to turn a turret.
My PH is fully supportive of long range hunting as long as hunters can prove their skill. He has a 1000 meter range at the ranch.

I'll probably take most of my trophies at normal distances. However, due to really low hunter numbers as a result of COVID, the ranch has a lot of culls and management animals that need to be shot per their management plans. PH prefers to do this situationally at long range. PH often does it himself (or ranch staff) but is happy for anyone that will pay for the pleasure.

I soon,.. SCRAPPED that, Idea !NOT to Pop,.. the OP's "Bubble" on,.. "Dual Loads",.. BUT,..
I would bet, serious Money that, those 2 Bullets, WON'T BE within,.. 6 INCHES of each other at,.. 500 Yards !
Best to,.. Choose,.. ONE "good" Load and, get to,.. KNOW, IT !

Multiple people have discussed that the two bullets won't have the same POI at long range. I'm well aware. That said, I don't really plan to use both at long range. The scope is zeroed with the 215 Berger and the the Hammer impacts .5 MOA left at 100 yards. I'm fine knowing this…out to 400 but realistically doubt I'll take a shot with the Hammer beyond 250.

That said, if I did want to shoot both at long range it wouldn't really be an issue bc both loads are plugged into my kestrel elite and the elite has a function to adjust for variance in POI.

I've used this concept for many years with many rifles. It wasn't uncommon to head to a prairie dog town with one rifle and three different loads for it. Mostly due to limited funds in my younger years, shoot what ya got kind of thing. And the scopes back then were darn sure lesser quality than what I use today. Your 300 is a shooter, have a great hunt!