300 prc brass stuck in bushing die

No need to purchase a stuck case remover. A drill, tap, socket, and a few washers will do the same thing. Save you time and money if you already have the parts. Plenty of YouTube videos.

Only thing I'll say is adjust the die so the case doesn't go in the socket at all. I had to cut the bolt off to get the socket back because the case was too far inside the socket and i couldn't grip it enough to unscrew bolt.

i have a Redding full length die for 7mm mag and had 4 cases in a row get stuck!!!!! Put so much imperial sizing lube on it dents the shoulders in bad and if I back the die out the cases will not chamber! Sprayed horanady spray once in the die also!!! Next time I have time to try again I am going to soak it in lacquer thinner for awhile and scrub it and relube! And if that doesn't work I am going to send the die in to get checked out.

i have a Redding full length die for 7mm mag and had 4 cases in a row get stuck!!!!! Put so much imperial sizing lube on it dents the shoulders in bad and if I back the die out the cases will not chamber! Sprayed horanady spray once in the die also!!! Next time I have time to try again I am going to soak it in lacquer thinner for awhile and scrub it and relube! And if that doesn't work I am going to send the die in to get checked out.
Do not mix lubricants, that can really work against you.

If you stuck four cases in a row someting is seriously wrong that more lube isn't going to help, in fact it could be causing the problem at least partially by creating a vacuum that doesn't want to break.

When resizing a case don't get suck on the idea of a single stroke, if you meet significant resistance back off and work it forward in short strokes a little at a time.

Don't feel bad, how do you think guys like me learned this? We learned it by making those same mistakes!

Your answer isn't more pressure, it may be the thinner competition shell holders especially if you're not getting as much bump back on the shoulders as you'd like.

Last edited:
If you contine to have problems be sure and send some of your unfired brass, brass ready to be resized and if you still have them the cases that stuck. Also work up a "dummy round" with a spent primer and no powder so they can really evaluate everything.

I'm not sure we can blame the cartridge when the problem is a bad job of reaming the chamber, improperly sized new brass, or poor reloading techniques.

Anyone who's never had a stuck cartridge hasn't reloaded before.
Well, I started reloading in 1987…….have had ONE stuck case. It was a 17 Remington case that was full of corn cob media and the expander got stuck, not the case walls. Ruined the expander getting it out. Lesson learned.

It's not the chamber job, it is Hornady and their specs that has caused the problem with the reloading die issue. Just another notch in Hornady's belt.

Cheers.

Well, I started reloading in 1987…….have had ONE stuck case. It was a 17 Remington case that was full of corn cob media and the expander got stuck, not the case walls. Ruined the expander getting it out. Lesson learned.

It's not the chamber job, it is Hornady and their specs that has caused the problem with the reloading die issue. Just another notch in Hornady's belt.

Cheers.
Actually it was, he had the rifle bore scoped and there's rough spot in the chamber causing the brass to hang up, thus the extraction problem.

I've had 2 stuck cases to date. After the 1st I did some research and made a little stuck case remover kit from parts at Ace hardware. The 2nd time, I already had my kit and worked well.

I haven't had any luck banging them out like he did in the1st part in Tiny Tims video. When they're stuck they're stuck. I thread my die upside down with brass up, put some penetrating oil like Kroil or tap magic around the edges of brass and let it sit. Drill, tap, and pull. Works pretty slick. I've let a buddy borrow it with success as well.

Plenty of advice already given. No need to repeat except for, if it feels like it's too much resistance while sizing, STOP! Learned the hard way myself haha.

Attachments

• 70AD837E-C38C-4B06-8A5D-BF8EB7F79835.jpeg
    70AD837E-C38C-4B06-8A5D-BF8EB7F79835.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • 9B06DB45-830B-4E1A-8DA9-1D549C84EE78.png
    9B06DB45-830B-4E1A-8DA9-1D549C84EE78.png
    666.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Anyone who's never had a stuck cartridge hasn't reloaded before.
I have only had a few stuck. Been reloading for 35 years. All have been in the last five (since I am now oh so wise and know what I'm doing, lol). And every single one has been my fault (forcing things rather than backing off and assessing the situation).

A stuck case removal set works well if you have a good case head but op pics look like the case head is pretty much gone.
If your case head don't have enough brass to tap and remove case send it back to Redding and let them remove it.
One of my neighbors has a PRC and jumped ship on Hornady's one shot and is now using Imperial lube and keeps an extra full length sizer die on hand just incase.

Last edited:
I just purchased some new ADG brass for my 300 prc and am starting load development. I ordered a bushing for my new Redding full length type s bushing die. Ordered bushing measuring .002 less then loaded round. Loaded case measured .335 so ordered .333.
Long story short I thought I'd run a piece of brass through my new die. I cleaned the die properly and lubed the case well. I could feel some resistance with my zero press but wasn't too worried because the case was well lubed. When I went to remove the case it broke and remained stuck in the die. I watched a you tube video on how to remove stuck case with no luck. Right now I'm out a die but more curious what went wrong? I have checked the brass and it cycles perfectly in the chamber. Is it the brass or sizing die or something I did wrong? Tried pinching case head in vise and removing with a wrench with no luck. She is stuck good now! Ha ha
OK, hate this when it happens, but here's a little trick, number one, get a good pairs of vice grips , other option is a easy out that you can run into the flash hole, then grab it with the grips, or in a vice, just get a good grip before you start, get a hammer ready, and torch, heat the outside of the die , remove the top if you can, the primer pin piece, this must be done quickly, heat the outside of the die for about 20 seconds all around the die, now tap the vice grips and that boy should pop right out, and it won't hurt the die to heat it a little, you just want the die to swell up a .001 or so. Something must have gotten intothe die, always clean them with a good cleaner every time you use them. I have seen some with a heavy type oil or cosmolin , and if it drys out,,,look out, Let me know if you get it out. Mail it to me and I'll fix it if possible.

I just purchased some new ADG brass for my 300 prc and am starting load development. I ordered a bushing for my new Redding full length type s bushing die. Ordered bushing measuring .002 less then loaded round. Loaded case measured .335 so ordered .333.
Long story short I thought I'd run a piece of brass through my new die. I cleaned the die properly and lubed the case well. I could feel some resistance with my zero press but wasn't too worried because the case was well lubed. When I went to remove the case it broke and remained stuck in the die. I watched a you tube video on how to remove stuck case with no luck. Right now I'm out a die but more curious what went wrong? I have checked the brass and it cycles perfectly in the chamber. Is it the brass or sizing die or something I did wrong? Tried pinching case head in vise and removing with a wrench with no luck. She is stuck good now! Ha ha
OK, hate this when it happens, but here's a little trick, number one, get a good pairs of vice grips , other option is a easy out that you can run into the flash hole, then grab it with the grips, or in a vice, just get a good grip before you start, get a hammer ready, and torch, heat the outside of the die , remove the top if you can, the primer pin piece, this must be done quickly, heat the outside of the die for about 20 seconds all around the die, now tap the vice grips and that boy should pop right out, and it won't hurt the die to heat it a little, you just want the die to swell up a .001 or so. Something must have gotten intothe die, always clean them with a good cleaner every time you use them. I have seen some with a heavy type oil or cosmolin , and if it drys out,,,look out, Let me know if you get it out. Mail it to me and I'll fix it if possible. I've been lucky, never had it happen to me but fixed some for friends of mine.

No need to purchase a stuck case remover. A drill, tap, socket, and a few washers will do the same thing. Save you time and money if you already have the parts. Plenty of YouTube videos.

This isn't rocked science, number one I only use the press for loading, and always use the correct wrenches, just drill the head out a bit, run a easy out in it or tap, which every blows your hair back, then a little heat on the threads of the die will warm it enough to let the cas almost fall out.