300 prc bolt click

Joefrazell

Yep, I'm getting the dreaded bolt click. I'm on my third firing of lapua brass and it's very noticeable. It was slightly there on the 2nd firing. This is custom cut with a factory reamer. What are my options? Is there a small base die? Also, why do some factory chambers have the issue and not all? Was the reamer worn that was used or is it just bad luck? Thanks for any input.

Bad luck, tight chamber. Bullet central micron die will get you an extra couple firings. Use imperial sizing wax.

Or send off to Smith to open up chamber.
So right now I'm numbing the shoulder .002 and am wondering if I should try to just completely full length size to see if it's any better?

I'll call my smith on Monday. I don't want a band aid but it fixed right. Sounds like the back if the chamber needs opened up a bit.

So right now I'm numbing the shoulder .002 and am wondering if I should try to just completely full length size to see if it's any better?
If you're bumping .002 with a full length die, you cannot improve the sizing at the datum line. Look up Alex Wheeler's comments on this cartridge in other posts. He has all the info on this problem.

Yep have seen it with the WSMs, RCMs, and RUMs. Small base dies just are not made for these rounds.

Made a few small base dies by cutting the top and bottom of a RCBS FL die. Using a carbide tool bit it will cut through the case hardened outer layer of the die with lots of orange sparks. It is a bit of a PITA to smooth the entrance of the die to prevent scratched cases though. Some adjustments are necessary to get the lower portion of the case web area diameter reduced sufficiently.

After reading Alex Wheeler's comments I would be inclined to sand the rear portion of an existing chamber in future or spec out a reamer to ensure a greater difference between the die and chamber dimensions.

Yes I've read Alex wheelers posts along with a few forums on long range only. I just hate runnning sandpaper in my expensive chamber. My smith is local and a great smith/guy and I'm sure he'll get it fixed up quick. Not sure if he's ran into this issue before but I'll find out what he thinks tomorrow.

My fired brass measures .531 and is clicky when run back through the gun. If I full length size it it will chamber again just fine and measure .5305. Sounds like I'm gunna definitely need a aw2 reamer ran in.

Yep, I'm getting the dreaded bolt click. I'm on my third firing of lapua brass and it's very noticeable. It was slightly there on the 2nd firing. This is custom cut with a factory reamer. What are my options? Is there a small base die? Also, why do some factory chambers have the issue and not all? Was the reamer worn that was used or is it just bad luck? Thanks for any input.
I went through this with my 6.5 PRC. I was using ADG brass which has the most issues. Had a slight click after the second firing and got bad after that. I had Whidden make me a custom die from my fired brass. Even though they were great to deal with, it didn't resolve the problem. From my research the only real fix is to a custom reamer to slightly enlarge the chamber. I had Mason make me one. My PRC is at the gunsmith being worked on now. This seems to be the only permanent fix.

Scott

I went through this with my 6.5 PRC. I was using ADG brass which has the most issues. Had a slight click after the second firing and got bad after that. I had Whidden make me a custom die from my fired brass. Even though they were great to deal with, it didn't resolve the problem. From my research the only real fix is to a custom reamer to slightly enlarge the chamber. I had Mason make me one. My PRC is at the gunsmith being worked on now. This seems to be the only permanent fix.

Scott
Yeah it sounds like it'll be going back to the smith unfortunately