300 PRC... Barrel Length Discussion

Which barrel length would you go with on a 300 PRC?

• Total voters

Lobber

OK, guys, I am hoping for some information that might help me in determining barrel length for an upcoming 300 PRC build. Now, I realize there have been a few debates on this on this already that have beat a dead horse to death with theoretical numbers and relatively unfounded statements for velocities on anything less than a 24" tube. I would love to hear from anyone that has built a 300 PRC with actual experience loading for the rifle. I'd especially love to hear about any data or experience from builds that were done with a tube shorter than 24".

I've beed drawn to the caliber for a while now, and nearly have everything in line to put one together and give it a go, other than the barrel. I plan to shoot the heavier bullets, and intend to both hunt big country and shoot steel. It will most often have a TB Ultra 7 can on it. I'd really like to go with a 22" barrel as it will be carried around in rugged country while suppressed, but I'm hesitant to do so if I'd be sacrificing too much in velocity, especially with the heavy pills.

Just for fun, I added a poll, so make sure you vote on the barrel length you would choose!

Thanks in advance!

I'd go 300 WSM, if I wanted a short barrel and suppressor on a magnum 30 cal. Don't have experience with 300 PRC but do with 300 WSM, 300 Weatherby, and 300 RUM. It is really about how much powder, and the burn rate of that powder, you are burning in a shorter barrel. A 300 WSM, with it's shorter fatter powder column, is more forgiving in that aspect as it tends to be more efficient with faster burning powders than a long skinny cartridge.

All good points Barrelnut. Perhaps that's the direction I should have gone up front, but I put all my components together around a long action receiver.

26" with a brake
A83068C6-E6F9-426C-854D-5A472C17225D.jpeg

I would like to bring this topic back up. Considering cutting down the barrel for more of a hunting rig and was curious on how short people have gone and what numbers should I suspect? Anyone have experience good or bad?

I have heard 40fps per inch on the PRC. I have no clue if this is accurate.

Last edited:
That long action 300 WSM would be great for the longer heavy Hammer monos in a little faster twist 22 in .
Yes 100%. I will probably catch some heat for saying this, but I feel like every short action cartridge is better out of a long action in the hands of a reloader.