300 PRC & 215 Bergers = how much H1000?

Would also like to know, still working my way through 200 Factory Hornady 225's, but will be setup to load 215's and 230's soon. Seems like I saw a 78gr of H1K for the 230's that was reported to be great.

Just did some testing today. Factory Proof Research 300 PRC pre-fit for TL3. 26" 1:9. Chrono speeds from magneto speed.

I run ~ 0.002" of neck tension via expander mandrels but use a 0.334 bushing on neck turned skim cut Hornady brass.

I was 0.020" off and did 77.5, 78.0 and 78.5, yielded 2896, 2905, and then 2949 fps respectively. Very light extractor marks on all of them, but cannot feel anything. This has become normal for me in the TL3, it did the same in 2 different 28 Nosler barrels at low load levels due to the huge extractor cut out for CRF actions.

Used FG215M primers, I suspect 80 grains of H1000 will kill brass from what I've read everywhere else ie primer pockets are done after 1 reload. People I talk to that shoot this gun at 79.2-79.5 grains and get 5+ reloads but i'm staying at 78.5, its fast enough for me, and yielded 0.46 MOA at 100. Havent checked velocity spread yet just put the barrel on last night.

Used FG215M primers, I suspect 80 grains of H1000 will kill brass from what I've read everywhere else ie primer pockets are done after 1 reload.

Interesting.

I'm running a 30 nosler in adg brass. So no quite apple to apple's but close.

I've tried a few different bullets at up to 84.5 grains of H1k with brass on its 3rd load. No pressure signs but a nearly compressed load.

I'm about to retest my latest group testing of a 230 Berger over 83.6 grains of H1k. It delivered 2940 avg with an es of 11 and a ragged inch at 300 yards.

Carefully with the data Berger gives if it's the same as what they were providing a few months ago. It seemed a (lot) warm to me so I looked at the Hornady data and came up with what I thought was a safe start and worked up. I hit pressure 1.5 grains under what they gave for a starting load.

Carefully with the data Berger gives if it's the same as what they were providing a few months ago. It seemed a (lot) warm to me so I looked at the Hornady data and came up with what I thought was a safe start and worked up. I hit pressure 1.5 grains under what they gave for a starting load.
Berger tech support is very helpful, but I was surprised when they told me that at least one load I got from them was what I call dry labbed, i.e., came from QuickLoad. Heck, I have QL. That worried me a tad, because, even though QL is helpful and I use it all the time, it's not the same as testing loads with pressure gauges in a tunnel. I prefer the latter when a manufacturer is giving me data.

Look at the posts in this thread from 8andbait, should answer your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.