300 PRC 1:8 twist: Lightest bullets with accuracy.

Optimal lead free bullet for elk 300 PRC 1:8 twist?

• Any

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • NA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have ran a Remington sendero STW with 100 grain sierra hollow points up to 4200 fps. Killed a few deer with them. It actually shoot pretty decent groups.

I have shot the 181gr Hammer Hunter out of my 300 RUM with a 1:8 twist. Have not put in an animal though.
What kinda velocity did you make it up to?
Like butter bean, I like a laser.
One of my go to 300 rum loads is 180 grain Nosler BT's at 3500 fps.
100 grains of RL25.
I'm a new hammer user and looking for real velocity number possibilities.

Interesting. Could you expand on "blow up", and "hold up" please.
My old Warbird had a bullet blowup problem with lighter bullets. Had a 125 NBT blow up on a coyote shoulder once and he ran off. Left a big hole in his side but the bullet never penetrated. So I switched to heavies for a time before I sold it.

My old Warbird had a bullet blowup problem with lighter bullets. Had a 125 NBT blow up on a coyote shoulder once and he ran off. Left a big hole in his side but the bullet never penetrated. So I switched to heavies for a time before I sold it.
My question was about his use of a TTSX.

In the bullet/ammo world the unit of measure is always weight. No one walks into Walmart and says gimme a box of 1.3" 300PRC rounds. They would say 180 grain Barnes or whatever. The heavier bullet in any caliber will always be LONGER than the lighter bullet. I don't shoot solids out of my .300 PRC, but I would shoot the heaviest bullets you can find, verify they shoot accurately out of your gun. Wanting to shoot the lightest bullet out of your .300 PRC for elk seems counter intuitive, since the round was developed to shoot heavy bullets. You may have to develop your own load data depending on how light you want to go

Last edited:
Light weight mono's can be pretty devastating at 400 and under. A PRC will push a 130ttsx 3600fps fairly easy. Shorter distances it's pretty effective. There are a few choices under that but I haven't tried them.

If you're chasing MV for a hunting rifle, IMHO you're doing it wrong. Mono's are notorious for going through game at high speeds without doing much damage or fragment. I have a 300 PRC shooting 214 HH at 2980 and I'm thinking to slow it down a bit. I shot a cow elk at 700 yds and the bullet went through. The exit hole was about half of an inch. I hit the lungs and it didn't really do much damage except the holes. From the same rifle I shot 212 ELDX 600 yds cow elk and it obliterated everything in the chest cavity. Lungs were just mush. I do like mono's but shot placement and experience is key for an ethical shot. I hope this helps.

Recent Posts