300 PRC 1:8 twist: Lightest bullets with accuracy.

Optimal lead free bullet for elk 300 PRC 1:8 twist?

• Any

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • NA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

2sofflead

I understand that heavier bullets are optimal in this twist for long range hunting/target shooting. What is the lightest bullet in this twist rate that will provide highest velocity (terminal energy) and accuracy. I realize there are a number of variables involved here besides weight. I am primarily interested in lead free bullets for hunting elk. All info/comments welcome, however, cartridge and twist are a given. Many thanks!

181 grain hammer hunter. 300 wm 1-10 twist. 2970fps. And could push them faster but was an accurate load so I just called it good. This rifle is mainly used for elk hunting and if you put the bullet in the boiler it's one shot and down. Will admit I haven't shot an elk with this setup over 200 yards. But it has always performed well. I know that some have been complete pass through but don't know about some, mainly because I never paid close enough attention. Boom floop and I figured the bullet did it's job. Not sure if this is the type of info you are looking for. Good luck

I understand that heavier bullets are optimal in this twist for long range hunting/target shooting.

Actually, it's the length of the bullet which determines the twist rate. The materials used to turn mono-metallic bullets are lighter weight and therefore longer to achieve the same weight as a cup and core bullet. Longer bullets require a faster twist rate to stabilize.

Actually, it's the length of the bullet which determines the twist rate. The materials used to turn mono-metallic bullets are lighter weight and therefore longer to achieve the same weight as a cup and core bullet. Longer bullets require a faster twist rate to stabilize.
Thx

Length does have more effect compared to weight is more true. Just agreeing with you.

I like to use heavier bullets for elk. I used a 7mm 140 gr. (SD 248) Barnes for my first elk. It killed fine, but didn't exit, and there wasn't any blood trail. I upgraded to 160 gr. Barnes (SD .283), and 168 gr. Berger VLDs and never looked back. I like an exit wound and a blood trail. A 180 gr. (SD .286) is the least weight I'd use in a .30 caliber.

Over-spinning a bullet won't decrease accuracy. The issue with fast twist rates is that jacketed bullets will blow up if spun too fast. The thin jackets long range hunting bullets will blow up easier. That's an advantage to mono bullets. They are one piece and won't blow up. Butterbean is running 101gr Hammer bullets at 4400 fps from his 300 RUM. I don't know the twist rate but likely a 1:10, which has them spinning just over 300K RPM which will separate a lot of jacketed bullets.

With your 1:8 twist you'll hit that 300K RPM mark at 3400 FPS. I have a 1:8 rifle that smoked a few Hornady Vmax when I broke 3400 FPS.