300 Norma Suggestions

jraulsten

For some reason I have it stuck in my head that I NEED a semi-lightweight hunting rifle (and sometimes long range plinker) in 300 Norma. I'm dead set on the caliber so don't try to change my mind on that:)

I really want something that would be in demand so I don't take too much of a beating if I decide to sell it. I have a very bad habit, or I should say sickness, of getting my enjoyment from the anticipation of the build and load development. Once that is complete I usually get an itch to move on to something else. I know it's not real smart but I enjoy it (and the fact that I'm spending my adult children's inheritance)!

I was thinking about a 26" Proof Carbon Sendero contour with 1:9 twist, Lone Peak titanium action and Bix n' Andy single stage Tac Sport. I'm a Manners fan but open to suggestions on stocks. My only criteria is fairly lightweight, DBM, adjustable cheek piece, two flush cups left side and an Atlas bipod rail. I also like the vertical grips like an EH-1A. I plan on shooting 215 Hybrids.

What do you think? I welcome all suggestions......Except on the caliber:D

I'm in the middle of a 300 Norma as we speak. I like your build plan except for the 215s. The Norma will send em for sure , but why not consider the 225s , 230s and heavier that are headed our way ?

If you're not interested in the heavies , the 215s are still an excellent choice.

I'm in the middle of a 300 Norma as we speak. I like your build plan except for the 215s. The Norma will send em for sure , but why not consider the 225s , 230s and heavier that are headed our way ?

If you're not interested in the heavies , the 215s are still an excellent choice.
Why would you want to go so heavy?

Steve

Thanks! Guess I was just thinking of speed and the fact that I probably won't hunt anything but Nilgai and Aoudad here in Texas. If I do get the chance to go on an elk hunt would the 215s be sufficient?

215s work great on elk . To answer RockyMtnMt , I need all the BC I can get , at least that's what I tell myself.

Sounds like you are going to want a muzzle brake! I don't have a 300 Norma but it seems to have a little more horse power than a 300 win mag. I'm guessing the recoil in your light weight rifle will be stout. I am really liking the "muzzle brakes and more" beast brake. It is very reasonably priced too.

Sounds like you are going to want a muzzle brake! I don't have a 300 Norma but it seems to have a little more horse power than a 300 win mag. I'm guessing the recoil in your light weight rifle will be stout. I am really liking the "muzzle brakes and more" beast brake. It is very reasonably priced too.
Thanks for the info! I was also thinking about a Piercison Rifles Muscle Brake. Had one on a 28 Nosler and it was like shooting a .243 (or even less).

Hey Jraulsten I think you have just described my perfect build. Build it like you want. Plus when your itch kicks in you can send it my way. :)

The only manners stocks that I've owned are MCST and they were pretty heavy. I like the McMillan A3 and similar profile stocks like the game warden, I'm not sure what manners makes like that. I have heard good things about the stocky stocks carbon fiber stock

The only manners stocks that I've owned are MCST and they were pretty heavy. I like the McMillan A3 and similar profile stocks like the game warden, I'm not sure what manners makes like that. I have heard good things about the stocky stocks carbon fiber stock
I really like the Manners EH-1A stocks. I also like the adjustable cheek piece and those add a lot of weight to that stock. I was hoping to find one with the same profile and cheek piece that would be lighter. Maybe a Game Warden with the Edge fill if there is such a thing?

I had a McMillan A3 carbon fiber with edge fill, ran it will a Triad stock pack. Favorite setup I've ever owned.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts