300 Norma Suggestions

jraulsten

For some reason I have it stuck in my head that I NEED a semi-lightweight hunting rifle (and sometimes long range plinker) in 300 Norma. I'm dead set on the caliber so don't try to change my mind on that:)

I really want something that would be in demand so I don't take too much of a beating if I decide to sell it. I have a very bad habit, or I should say sickness, of getting my enjoyment from the anticipation of the build and load development. Once that is complete I usually get an itch to move on to something else. I know it's not real smart but I enjoy it (and the fact that I'm spending my adult children's inheritance)!

I was thinking about a 26" Proof Carbon Sendero contour with 1:9 twist, Lone Peak titanium action and Bix n' Andy single stage Tac Sport. I'm a Manners fan but open to suggestions on stocks. My only criteria is fairly lightweight, DBM, adjustable cheek piece, two flush cups left side and an Atlas bipod rail. I also like the vertical grips like an EH-1A. I plan on shooting 215 Hybrids.

What do you think? I welcome all suggestions......Except on the caliber:D

WeiserBucks

I'm in the middle of a 300 Norma as we speak. I like your build plan except for the 215s. The Norma will send em for sure , but why not consider the 225s , 230s and heavier that are headed our way ?

If you're not interested in the heavies , the 215s are still an excellent choice.

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I'm in the middle of a 300 Norma as we speak. I like your build plan except for the 215s. The Norma will send em for sure , but why not consider the 225s , 230s and heavier that are headed our way ?

If you're not interested in the heavies , the 215s are still an excellent choice.
Why would you want to go so heavy?

Steve

jraulsten

Thanks! Guess I was just thinking of speed and the fact that I probably won't hunt anything but Nilgai and Aoudad here in Texas. If I do get the chance to go on an elk hunt would the 215s be sufficient?

WeiserBucks

215s work great on elk . To answer RockyMtnMt , I need all the BC I can get , at least that's what I tell myself.

Timnterra

Sounds like you are going to want a muzzle brake! I don’t have a 300 Norma but it seems to have a little more horse power than a 300 win mag. I’m guessing the recoil in your light weight rifle will be stout. I am really liking the “muzzle brakes and more” beast brake. It is very reasonably priced too.

jraulsten

Sounds like you are going to want a muzzle brake! I don’t have a 300 Norma but it seems to have a little more horse power than a 300 win mag. I’m guessing the recoil in your light weight rifle will be stout. I am really liking the “muzzle brakes and more” beast brake. It is very reasonably priced too.
Thanks for the info! I was also thinking about a Piercison Rifles Muscle Brake. Had one on a 28 Nosler and it was like shooting a .243 (or even less).

tmmcampbell

Hey Jraulsten I think you have just described my perfect build. Build it like you want. Plus when your itch kicks in you can send it my way. :)

Timnterra

The only manners stocks that I’ve owned are MCST and they were pretty heavy. I like the McMillan A3 and similar profile stocks like the game warden, I’m not sure what manners makes like that. I have heard good things about the stocky stocks carbon fiber stock

jraulsten

The only manners stocks that I’ve owned are MCST and they were pretty heavy. I like the McMillan A3 and similar profile stocks like the game warden, I’m not sure what manners makes like that. I have heard good things about the stocky stocks carbon fiber stock
I really like the Manners EH-1A stocks. I also like the adjustable cheek piece and those add a lot of weight to that stock. I was hoping to find one with the same profile and cheek piece that would be lighter. Maybe a Game Warden with the Edge fill if there is such a thing?

WeiserBucks

I had a McMillan A3 carbon fiber with edge fill, ran it will a Triad stock pack. Favorite setup I've ever owned.

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce