.300 Norma or .300 RUM (can’t decide!!!) What

I went 300 norma AI. I don't think I am giving up much if anything to a rum. And I like the oal better. Plus I like the Lapua bolt face.

Hard to say which is better really. Nothing wrong with either option if you don't mind the potential single feed of the rum. Once I get my load worked out, I'd be curious how comparable loads in rum perform.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to build a new rifle for the upcoming 230 & 250 A-TIPs and can't decide on a cartridge to push them.

Narrowed it down to these two cases predominantly for case capacity and brass availability.

I'm not ruling out another cartridge if someone can highlight one I should also be looking at.

I like the RUM as i can use just a magnum bolt face and not a lapua unit. Also Mcmillan will do a carbon for a RUM and not a Norma action.
Not too fussed about the single feeding issue with the RUM. What advantages does the Norma have over this case besides mag feeding?
What's the purpose of this rifle?
If it's for target shooting the RUM is extremely overbore.
If it's for hunting I would have a HUGE problem with single feeding..
If you care about high quality brass then definitely go 300 NM or 30-338 Lapua

The 300 NM doesn't give up much to the 300 RUM, I have one that I'm developing loads for, and 3000 fps with a 230 is easy from a 26" barrel with a lot less powder than a RUM.
And my COAL with a 230 at the neck boat tail junction is 3.6".

If you really want to hot rod the 250 A Tip I'd look into the 300 NM improved for sure, with Lapua brass you'll fire form 100 and be good forever.

I don't understand "single feed". Is it a single shot? If not, I have one of the first M700 300 RUMS made. Love it, never had any feeding problems. I built a .338 RUM. No feed problems either. RUM action magazine lips are wider than regular magnum actions. I don't know much about the 30 Nosler, but I can't see much improvement over the .300 RUM. If I was building a rifle, I would order a M700 RUM action, blue print it and install a barrel at least 26 inches long. I would install a Wyatt magazine box so I could seat bullets out further. I'd either order a custom reamer to cut the longer throat or use a necker throater to cut a longer throat so you could seat your 220 grain bullets out further. I'm not going to knock the 30 Nosler, but if I'd rather have the .300 RUM.

I have to agree the lapua improved is the go to. I gained about 200fps over the lapua with both the ones I had done.
Fireforming at first I thought sucked. But now I use my break in cycles to fireform.
My thought was not worry about doing my final load work till barrel settled in so I'd buy 100-200 brass. Shoot them while working up a soft load and have some fun. After after it's all formed I clean good then do load work. Very easy.
I don't even do load work in factory stuff till after 100 rounds so it's no different for me.

I'm at 5-5100ftlbs. I'd have more throttle with a longer throat.

181's@3500FPS-2 grains under the lightest bit of pressure
And 200's at 3380FPS.

26" barrel too

Probably gain 50-75FPS just going with a 28"

I'm really wanting another with a 32" 1-8 Bartlien. I too want to use this next round of heavy for caliber bullets

Last edited:
I'm wanting to build a new rifle for the upcoming 230 & 250 A-TIPs and can't decide on a cartridge to push them.

Narrowed it down to these two cases predominantly for case capacity and brass availability.

I'm not ruling out another cartridge if someone can highlight one I should also be looking at.

I like the RUM as i can use just a magnum bolt face and not a lapua unit. Also Mcmillan will do a carbon for a RUM and not a Norma action.
Not too fussed about the single feeding issue with the RUM. What advantages does the Norma have over this case besides mag feeding?

I would definitely choose the 300 RUM
I've had mine for several years now and I wouldn't trade it for anything else .

RUM. Defiance action, Bartlien 3B, McMillan
20180616_135410.jpg

I'm a RUM Man all the way but there is another cartridge on the playground you may want to consider; .300 PRC designed to shoot specifically 225 to 240 grain bullets, with less recoil than the win mag and the RUM, I recently saw a video of a 1.5 mile test, and it was dead solid !

I'm a RUM Man all the way but there is another cartridge on the playground you may want to consider; .300 PRC designed to shoot specifically 225 to 240 grain bullets, with less recoil than the win mag and the RUM, I recently saw a video of a 1.5 mile test, and it was dead solid !
True. Yes I forgot ! Great round. Not close but I like my little 6.5 PRC.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.