.300 Norma or .300 RUM (can’t decide!!!) What

Im sorry got ya all fired up LOL ,, I'm definitely not saying the 300 NM Imp isn't awesome cuzz it is!! I'm saying the 300 RUM has and is that underdog cartridge where everyone criticizes it over and over again and its always with the same story and its been that way since it came out ..but in the end it gets results that very few cartridges can in factory form!! The next best for a factory cartridge is the 30-378 WM … its the next cap level that no other factory offering can touch, but it also gets a bad rap about brass prices,,, um since when are true LR guys not willing to pay to play???!! I've been on the 300 RUM train since it first was introduced and plan on riding it out till the wheels fall off because its that good!!!

I'm wanting to build a new rifle for the upcoming 230 & 250 A-TIPs and can't decide on a cartridge to push them.

Narrowed it down to these two cases predominantly for case capacity and brass availability.

I'm not ruling out another cartridge if someone can highlight one I should also be looking at.

I like the RUM as i can use just a magnum bolt face and not a lapua unit. Also Mcmillan will do a carbon for a RUM and not a Norma action.
Not too fussed about the single feeding issue with the RUM. What advantages does the Norma have over this case besides mag feeding?
I'm a RUM guy. But can't go wrong with the Norma Mag. I don't have one but it seems the Norma is better suited to longer bullets. Lot shorter case should allow loading the long 250s out of powder column much farther than the UM for same OA and still fit the magazine. Or it looks that way.

I don't really want to be fire forming brass, I don't know why but I just cbf'd.
So the improved is out for me. Plus I have heard the diffference is marginal with a smith who hAs has both, approx 50fps.

As soon as I decide on a cartridge I'm swayed the other way lol.

I have found a proof in 28" 1/9 that's ready to go here locally (I'm in Australia). Also have some 26"'s waiting at customs so won't be a long wait for a 26". Is it worth the extra 2" for either cartridge.

Also, 30-378 is another option, not very fussed about the brass pricing. Availability is more my issue.

Good post EH338. Yuppers,,, the 300 Rum's are pretty common up here in the Far North,,, the old school 300 Winny Mag is still holding its ground since the brass supplies are endless...

And yes,,, there seems to be haters along the trial of good times... Ha...

Its funny that you mentioned the over bore thing,,, my new 6.5 custom build fits part of this world,,, why on earth would folks not enjoy cartridges like this. Ha...

There ain't nothing like trying to force to small of a chunk of lead down a pipe with rifling using waaaaay to much powder...

That's part of the good time fore sure. LOL

300 RUM all day long and here's why its the one that I would choose.
1. its one of the most underrated cartridges out there and gets a bad name for being way over bore, which usually comes form people that have no experience with it with powder and bullets that actually use the case capacity up... but a 180 @3400 plus is pretty sweet too hahahahahaha… I want it even more !!
2. if your a single loader its even better, I would suspect that in a 26-28" barrel built right you'll see 3k with 250 MATCH using the right powder .. probably RL50 RL33 Or h50bmg N570 or 20n29. I know with 230 hybrid in a 26" ive seen up to 3050fps (not relined) with h1000 and this will run 6 plus firings on norma cases
3. quality dies are everywhere for 300 rum, you will have to get a really good expensive set of dies for the 300 NM IMp that is cut perfect or you will fight the dreaded "click"
4. quality brass is everywhere
5. load data is every where
6. any powder you stuff in it it will shoot
7. ive owned both the 300 NM imp and 300 ultra and haven't seen anything either cartridge can do better than the other if built right
8. no fireforming which usually means twice if not three firings to get improved rung out and to where its at full capacity and no more growth
9. the 300 rum from new to 8th firing never changes from first shot.
not saying the 300 NM IMP is not an awesome cartridge which it absolutely is just saying the 300 RUM is also great and Gets more flack than credit and its been kickin ARS since 99!!!
we have the most options ever and for good reason we the long range shooter expect better every year and we get it!!
either way you decide it will be an absolute hammer and youll enjoy it, just my 2 cents on why I would and will always own a 300 RUM.

Agree fully

300 NM if you're planning to run DBM. Go with CIP length mags and you won't have to deal with the COAL issues that plague the RUM. If you don't care about COAL issues then do what you want!

300 NM if you're planning to run DBM. Go with CIP length mags and you won't have to deal with the COAL issues that plague the RUM. If you don't care about COAL issues then do what you want!

I'm running floorplates in all my hunting rifles, helps keep the weight down.

Totally understand if you don't want to fireform, but you will gain way more than 50 fps by improving a 30-338 Lapua. If you look at the standard 338 Lapua vs the 338 Lapua imp, the difference is 2750-2775ish w/300's up to around 2950 fps with the same bullet/barrel length, so more like 175-200 fps, and this is documented in many different rifles. I personally like the aggressive shoulder angle, as it reduces the need to trim brass drastically. One fireform, even just a good COW fireform, and you can load full power loads consistently. You would have no problem hitting 3000 fps with a 250, and you could do it at a lower pressure than a rum or norma, and help with barrel and brass life, which with Lapua brass running lower pressures, would be outstanding. 100 pieces would likely last for the life of the barrel.

I would go 30-338 Lapua Improved, but I don't mind foreforming, I have a .260 AI and am in the process of putting together two .270 Shermans for my cousins. Some would advise against it, but you could build a 30-338 LAI on a standard rem 700 action, many smiths (as well as Remington arms company....) builds 338 lapua's on rem 700's, and go with the light fill in the stocks, as it's not the up-sized action.

Just my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.