300 Norma or 30 Nosler???

Looking at getting a 300 norma barrel for my fierce ct which is currenty a 338 lapua
Going on a couple once in a lifetime hunts in the next two years and thinking it might be the answer to what im looking for
Mag is short for loading the 338 to to the lands. There is the option to use it as a single shot but would rather have a couple extra in the mag for polar bears
Should i go with the standard norma or go with a improved chamber?
Who would be the best to source the reamer and dies

If guys could get past "needing a repeater" for long range there would be a lot more rums. Once you build a single shot, you realize how sweet they are.
100% agree Alex !! i have had several and one cant beat the BAT action period! The 300 rum's are stupid accurate HAMMERS and basically still the king in my book to which all are still trying to catch up too!!

I'm curious why you think that? It's 9-10 grains less capacity.
I'm with you IdahoCTD the norma improved will fry a barrel just as fast or faster than the 30 nosler ! both will be ran at their full potential and using the hottest powder one can!
Its funny to me that one has a case capable of 3150fps but chooses to shoot at 2950 because its easy accurate and not hard on brass or the barrel!

Last edited:
I can run my 300NM improved at higher velocity's with lower pressure. My throat moves about .003 every hundred rounds - not bad for big magnum!!

dont take this the wrong way im not in any way arguing with you, but correct me if I'm wrong but to achieve said "Lower Pressures" but gain higher velocity your running let me guess N570, N565 RL26 RL33? do you have a pressure test gauge on your barrel? curious in your theory as too how do you think said powder gets you that xtra velocity, without creating more heat and flame length!

I know for a fact that 570 runs hotter than H1000. Shoot 3 rounds through a barrel with 570 and then with H1000 and grab ahold of it with your hand and see which one is hotter.
And I'm talking with a completely cool barrel from both.

dont take this the wrong way im not in any way arguing with you, but correct me if I'm wrong but to achieve said "Lower Pressures" but gain higher velocity your running let me guess N570, N565 RL26 RL33? do you have a pressure test gauge on your barrel? curious in your theory as too how do you think said powder gets you that xtra velocity, without creating more heat and flame length!

Yes, I run N570. But I have no desire to get into any further depth about it as I don't think you're really curious about anything I wrote: you know what you know and I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'll change your mind.

Yes, I run N570. But I have no desire to get into any further depth about it as I don't think you're really curious about anything I wrote: you know what you know and I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'll change your mind.
I actually was honestly. I am not arguing as i have no dog in this fight i was simply curious as to your thoughts on how its possible. I don't know everything, never will and will never claim too as that would be foolish as he who claims to know everything is actually dumber than the ones who listen with an open mind!

Last edited:
Don't forget larger cases require more powder to get the same speed as smaller cases even if the pressure is lower. So the pressure is lower but your burning more powder to get the same effect. Then you have to know where more pressure equals less barrel life compared to more powder. I don't think anyone knows where that is and I bet it changes with with the cases used and the powders burned. Most people know there is no free lunch and N570/R-33 cost barrel life for more velocity.

ADG 30 nosler brass holds almost 101gr, standard 300nm holds 103. These two cases run right with each other, but I'll take the 35° shoulder over the 20° any day. Once you step up to improved norma, you get another 4-5 grains usable cap and step brass flow into necks considerably. To keep vo @ 30N speeds, more powder is needed, to out perform 30N, even more powder and pressure is needed. I run N570 in my 338 rum and 300nmi. It's hot and pretty **** dirty, I clean every 30 rounds and there is a lot of carbon. If I had to pick the easiest most economical way to go about this, 30N with 225 freebore pushing 215s @ 3050fps w/ 86hr H1000. That barrel will last quite a while due to low powder temp. Step up to RL26/N570 and you can get over 3100 these are with accuracy in my rifles, but barrel heats up quite quickly and they're dirty double based nitro powder. Pick ur poison. I will say, N570 in 338 rum and 300 bergers is a match made in heaven. I'm using 93gr @ 3.92 coal and I'm cruising right around 2830fps from a 28" barrel, with half moa or better accuracy a low teens ES. That's out performing a lapua and lot of edges. I feel the larger 338 bore will last longer with the hotter powder just due to charge wt/bore size ratio.

The 30-28 Nosler and standard 300 Norma are almost identical in capacity. The 30 Nosler is down 2-3 grains from the 30-28 Nosler. Personally I wouldn't do a straight 300 Norma. The improved limits case stretch and makes it where you barely have to trim brass and it increases the capacity 6-7grs which amount to 50-75fps on average. I'm with Alex, on a custom action it's not much different in cost for a Lapua bolt face and a standard magnum. The Lapua brass is super tough and would lean me that way if I was building a custom from scratch.
Yes but is a bit shorter than the 338 lap case. Gets close to ultramag vel with a bit less powder and is easy to fit in standard long action. Definitely will not come close to the imp versions of the 338 lap.

A Norma Imp runs right around 110grs of capacity. That's roughly 9grs more than a 30 Nosler. Remington 300RUM runs around 114grs. A 30-28 Nosler and standard 300 Norma are almost identical.
Yes but is a bit shorter than the 338 lap case. Gets close to ultramag vel with a bit less powder and is easy to fit in standard long action. Definitely will not come close to the imp versions of the 338 lap.

Your preaching to the choir a bit. I built my first 300 Norma Imp in 2014. I'm pretty familiar with them. I have a 30-338 Lapua Imp as well as 300wsm's, 300wm's, 300RUM's, 30-8mm's, a 30 Nosler, a 30-378 Imp, and a 308 Baer in .30 magnums.

A Norma Imp runs right around 110grs of capacity. That's roughly 9grs more than a 30 Nosler. Remington 300RUM runs around 114grs. A 30-28 Nosler and standard 300 Norma are almost identical.

Your preaching to the choir a bit. I built my first 300 Norma Imp in 2014. I'm pretty familiar with them. I have a 30-338 Lapua Imp as well as 300wsm's, 300wm's, 300RUM's, 30-8mm's, a 30 Nosler, a 30-378 Imp, and a 308 Baer in .30 magnums.
Haha! More than we have toyed with for sure. I find the 300 Norma mag imp and the 338 Lap imp in different calibers to be very good.

I think the 28n is just about a perfect cartridge. Particularly in a factory/saami chamber. I am also a big fan of the 300rum as long as we have at least 3.7" of mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.