300 Norma Magnum

Kiwi Greg

Here is my 300 Norma magnum, it weighs 3.995 Kgs, 7.8 lbs :)

McMillan A3 Edge Tech carbon stock.

Proof Research 26" 1-9 Barrel with a T3 Terminator Muzzle Brake.

A very very nice shiny Defiance Deviant Hunter action.

Leupold VX 3 4.5-14 x 50 LR CDS scope with alumina caps.

It shoots the 230 Bergers pretty well at a reasonable velocity.

100 Yards yesterday

Here it is at 445 yards, .295 moa :)

A short video from yesterday

I'm extremely happy with this rifle especially the Defiance action, it is definitely a step up from the Stiller's I've used for builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome set up! Great shooting too. Couple of questions: What is your RL-33 load, and how many reloads are you getting per piece of brass?

Awesome set up! Great shooting too. Couple of questions: What is your RL-33 load, and how many reloads are you getting per piece of brass?

Thanks.

I used 93.5 grains of RL 33, not a top load in this rifle, but an accurate one, usual story work up to it different powder lots, actions etc etc etc

I haven't fired the brass enough times to know I only got it going on Friday :)

I used RL50 in the video & will be trying different neck tensions this morning.

That's really nice, how come the rifle is so light, carbon fibre wrapped barrel or voodoo :D

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Thanks.

I used 93.5 grains of RL 33, not a top load in this rifle, but an accurate one, usual story work up to it different powder lots, actions etc etc etc

I haven't fired the brass enough times to know I only got it going on Friday :)

I used RL50 in the video & will be trying different neck tensions this morning.

That's really nice, how come the rifle is so light, carbon fibre wrapped barrel or voodoo :D

Easy, light stock, light Scope, light rings, light barrel, light brake, the action isn't that heavy either.

Its pretty heavy compared to this one at 1.935 kgs 4.26lbs as shown in the pics without the bipod, 22 Terminator, 22-204R :)

That is an outstanding rifle!!! You should have no problems w/goats at long range using it :D

I'm not wanting to re-rail here so I can post another thread if it's better that way.... but, what is the data on your 340 Terminator?!? I read a thread on it over on nzhuntingandshooting. Having a non-CheyTac sized receiver with the capability to achieve >3,000fps w/300gr pellets is *very* interesting!!!

That is an outstanding rifle!!! You should have no problems w/goats at long range using it :D

I'm not wanting to re-rail here so I can post another thread if it's better that way.... but, what is the data on your 340 Terminator?!? I read a thread on it over on nzhuntingandshooting. Having a non-CheyTac sized receiver with the capability to achieve >3,000fps w/300gr pellets is *very* interesting!!!

Thanks

Its very similar to Kirbys 338 Raptor.

You can get 3000+ with a 338 Lapua improved with a 28-30" barrel & RL33-50 :)

Here is my 300 Norma magnum, it weighs 3.995 Kgs, 7.8 lbs :)

McMillan A3 Edge Tech carbon stock.

Proof Research 26" 1-9 Barrel with a T3 Terminator Muzzle Brake.

A very very nice shiny Defiance Deviant Hunter action.

Leupold VX 3 4.5-14 x 50 LR CDS scope with alumina caps.

It shoots the 230 Bergers pretty well at a reasonable velocity.

100 Yards yesterday

Here it is at 445 yards, .295 moa :)

A short video from yesterday

300 Norma Magnum at 445 yards - YouTube

I'm extremely happy with this rifle especially the Defiance action, it is definitely a step up from the Stiller's I've used for builds.

Hi Greg
New on here.
Love the 300NM rifle. Is it single shot?
Looking at a 338LM or NM build at present.
The Defiance actions are a beautiful thing. I have 2 myself.
The new ultralight they have just released would suit some of your lighter builds to a tee.
Just wanted to ask about 300NM brass from someone already shooting it.
How easy is it to get quality brass off the shelf in NZ ?
Who consistently makes it other than Norma?
Not really keen to add another cartridge that I struggle to get components for.
Thanks
SW

Kiwi, Im assuming the the 7.8 lbs is bare rifle weight, and did you go with the sendero or sendero light contour?

I recently did some shooting with a proof research rifle chambered in 300 RUM, rifle weighed about 9.5 lbs scope and all, and shot extremely well out to 1000 yds. Recoil was very quick and sharp. I could not spot my own shots due to the muzzle brake. It did not look effecient at all. The brake on your rifle looks much better, how is the recoil and is it possible to spot your shots on a rifle that light in 300 Norma?

I've been pondering on light magnum rifle for a while now. I was wanting to go a more conventional route at first using a #3 Bartlein in 300 Norma. As of lately I've become sold on a C.F. Barrel due to the larger muzzle di. and the fact that a bigger brake can be installed without looking unproportional.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts